Guppies and shrimp

Jim bean 20055

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2020
For planted or non-planted, I prefer the smallest grain gravel you can find that's not sand. For me, sand is just too much of a hassle unless you absolutely need it. I prefer a mix of natural and black if you can find it, or just natural. That's a personal preference thing.

For plants, it depends on what you have access to and what you are setup for. You don't need fancy lighting for plants, but you do need LED or fluorescent lighting. Java moss is the easiest IMO, along with java fern and anubia. None of them are rooting plants. They grow 'feelers' that grab onto things.

For food, my shrimp ate what ever flake food or sinking pellets or wafers the fish were eating. Nothing fancy.
Ok I will make sure to pick some of those plants up. Thank You!

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Personally in my experience they do best separated. Put the shrimp in the 5 gallon and the guppy’s in the ten. Get some planted substrate (I prefer fluval ) and then put in some low tech plants like crypts an dwarf sag and some Java moss. There no need to gravel vac in a setup like this. It’s a mini eco system. The shrimp should breed like crazy. Then you can try adding some to the ten gallon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store