Guppy breeding

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
6F:2M should work well.

In a 20gallon, I'd stick with 6:2, and then move the fry to a growout tub or something. You're going to maybe start out with 10-30 fry per birth. With luck, you can get up to 100/birth, but I've never observed that.

Reactions: Deadeye and Rtc/tsn

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I wouldn’t worry too much about overcrowding, as the aro and pacu can take as much as they breed.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Keeping them at 80 F would allow them to breed faster I think.

You'll get the most survival by isolating the females before they give birth. In a different tub.

You don't need the submarine or whatever that red thing is. More plastic plants (or better, live plants) would be beneficial to allow any fry to prevent the notice of adults.

One male can handle up to 3 females. You really want more females in order to really crank out the number of fish you can feed out.

Make sure you're doing heavy water changes and feeding heavily. Guppies will give birth approximately once a month. The fry do well on stuff like Hikari First Bites, but I prefer feeding baby brine shrimp, since even the adults will eat it.
The submarine is in there for the adult guppy’s and the red thing is actually big enough for the fry to get into but adults can’t fit and it’s completely Hollow It was the first aquarium decoration i ever bought my old bumblebee catfish loved it

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I hate to burst your bubble about this but I have tried this in the past and it is a lot of work and time for an almost pointless feeding.

the time , effort and food you need to breed enough guppies to have a small snack that hardly registers can be defeating right quick.

if you want to breed guppies to say you did it. That’s one thing, but after waiting 3 months for the fry to be even remotely edible size all of your fish will already be much bigger and will hardly even see those tiny little morsels.

if you want to feed them live snacks you are better off to find a person who is breeding live bearers like sword tails or mollies and ask them for their culls. But I would still qt them imo.

Reactions: jjohnwm

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I hate to burst your bubble about this but I have tried this in the past and it is a lot of work and time for an almost pointless feeding.

the time , effort and food you need to breed enough guppies to have a small snack that hardly registers can be defeating right quick.

if you want to breed guppies to say you did it. That’s one thing, but after waiting 3 months for the fry to be even remotely edible size all of your fish will already be much bigger and will hardly even see those tiny little morsels.

if you want to feed them live snacks you are better off to find a person who is breeding live bearers like sword tails or mollies and ask them for their culls. But I would still qt them imo.
I’m doing it more as a treat for the fish

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I’m doing it more as a treat for the fish
I understand that. But what I’m saying is guppies are so tiny it’s not worth your time and efforts to breed them. Especially for fish that grow 2-3” per month. I assume you already know that about the fish you are treating with guppies.

it takes about 3 months for guppy fry to even be feeder guppy size. Even if you have 6 females - assuming the greatest numbers possible (which is very unlikely) if each female had 100 babies each you would have enough for 1-2 good feeds in about 3 months.

1 sinking carnivore pellet is more food than a 3 month old guppy.

the fish you have are eating machines. You will want to find an Asian food market and look for frozen shrimp, tilapia, and smelts after about 2-3 months. Guppies will notsatisfy their insatiable appetite is what I am trying to say.

you can do what you want, but I’m just letting you know from personal experience. I did this for oscars that I got at 2” and by the time the guppies were even close to snack sized the Oscar was too big to even get a snack from it.

imagine if you went to McDonalds and only got 2-3 fries and no burger. Lol

Reactions: ichthyogeek

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I understand that. But what I’m saying is guppies are so tiny it’s not worth your time and efforts to breed them. Especially for fish that grow 2-3” per month. I assume you already know that about the fish you are treating with guppies.

it takes about 3 months for guppy fry to even be feeder guppy size. Even if you have 6 females - assuming the greatest numbers possible (which is very unlikely) if each female had 100 babies each you would have enough for 1-2 good feeds in about 3 months.

1 sinking carnivore pellet is more food than a 3 month old guppy.

the fish you have are eating machines. You will want to find an Asian food market and look for frozen shrimp, tilapia, and smelts after about 2-3 months. Guppies will notsatisfy their insatiable appetite is what I am trying to say.

you can do what you want, but I’m just letting you know from personal experience. I did this for oscars that I got at 2” and by the time the guppies were even close to snack sized the Oscar was too big to even get a snack from it.

imagine if you went to McDonalds and only got 2-3 fries and no burger. Lol
I know all of this but I don’t want my fish to be used to their food sitting in one spot for them to eat and plus I love to watch them chase their food around it’s entertaining

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store