Guys just want ur opinion if this is hole in the head

Rubywee

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2017
Does this look like hole in the head guys I mean I have had a case once before that fish lost ita appetite was hiding all the time this one is active comes out during feeding time just did an 80% water change last week and used a filter from a stable tank to add beneficial bacteria to the tank could this be hole in the head or a wound from a fight tank mates include green Texas,convict,green terror , tilapia buttikoferi and jaguar cichlids

IMG_2365.JPG

IMG_2366.JPG

IMG_2367.JPG

IMG_2368.JPG

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I would say it could well be a wound but it could also quite easily be hith. It's hard to tell from the pictures.
My guess is, unless your tank is well over 300 gallons? Stress levels and water quality may be an issue and outbreaks of hith may well be inevitable.
What are your tank dimensions?

Rubywee

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2017
OH TANKS I SUSPECTED AS MUCH MY TANK DOSENT HAVE A LID BUT I SUSPECT ITS DUE TO AGGRESION FROM THE JAGUARS OR BUTTIKOFERI HEHE THANKS FOR THE RELIEF

Rubywee

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2017
I Think its a wound just fed the tank and he's as lively as ever eats like he always does in my knowledge on hith the fish looses appetite and is skittish hides most of the time so im hoping its just a battle wound

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
HITH fish do not always lose their appetites. I have seen lots of cichlids eat and breed and act totally normal with it.

How long has this mark been there? Did it appear overnight?

Oscars are prone to HITH and it's almost always a result of poor water quality and/or diet. They need clean water to thrive so in a heavily stocked tank you'll need to keep up with large, frequent water changes. This is also true if the mark is a wound, because dirty water could lead to an infection of the area.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Hello Ruby,
It does look like hole-in-the-head to me. It may also just be an injury, difficult to say. If it heals up within a week or so, you will know it was just an injury. If it gets worse or spreads, then it is HITH.
I forget the tank size, but I believe she does have a 300+ gallon tank. Ruby, do you know what the nitrate levels are? High nitrate/poor water quality is usually the cause of HITH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store