Gymnothorax Polyuranodon Fighting (video)

PartyHacks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2019

My eels are aggressive to each other. They will scuffle like this, but never actually hurt each other. I plan on keeping an all eel tank, with around 8 of these guys (subject to change based on behavior).

Any questions on these guys I can help answer?

OR anything you can tell me about them I don't know? These are in my opinion the coolest freshwater moray eel.

If you want to try and convince me that they are brackish, thats fine, but they do very well in freshwater, and research has shown they are true fresh water.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

My eels are aggressive to each other. They will scuffle like this, but never actually hurt each other. I plan on keeping an all eel tank, with around 8 of these guys (subject to change based on behavior).

Any questions on these guys I can help answer?

OR anything you can tell me about them I don't know? These are in my opinion the coolest freshwater moray eel.

If you want to try and convince me that they are brackish, thats fine, but they do very well in freshwater, and research has shown they are true fresh water.
That looked pretty intense.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Are there any eels that live well with community fish such as tetras and mollies in a 55 gallon?

PartyHacks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2019
Are there any eels that live well with community fish such as tetras and mollies in a 55 gallon?
Most FW eels will do fine I believe in an aquarium such as that. I have even seen these eels in tanks with guppys and tetras and stuff.

These things are blind as bats, they cannot see well at all, and they are relatively (and pathetically) slow at chasing fish.

Fish like fire eels I believe don't really like to eat fish either. It would actually really suprise me and most people if they did.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

PartyHacks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2019
Since it's a 55 gallon, I don't think a fire eel would work. I've seen it done, and I mean.... It's been done lol. but it's certainly not ideal as they grow big ( and they grow that big sort of quick )

Gymnothorax Polyuranodon on the other hand I think would be perfect. They can grow to 3-5 feet, however I have never heard of one growing that large in an aquarium (and a freshwater one at that, since when they mature they move to brackish and when they get really big, I believe they even move to full SW).

One FW moray eel would be a great fit. They are pricey though. Shoot me a PM if you are interested as I will be importing some soon.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Most FW eels will do fine I believe in an aquarium such as that. I have even seen these eels in tanks with guppys and tetras and stuff.

These things are blind as bats, they cannot see well at all, and they are relatively (and pathetically) slow at chasing fish.

Fish like fire eels I believe don't really like to eat fish either. It would actually really suprise me and most people if they did.
I would love a fire eel, but I’m quite sure a 55 gallon is too small for it. What about gymnothorax tile? Could you recommend me any species?

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Since it's a 55 gallon, I don't think a fire eel would work. I've seen it done, and I mean.... It's been done lol. but it's certainly not ideal as they grow big ( and they grow that big sort of quick )

Gymnothorax Polyuranodon on the other hand I think would be perfect. They can grow to 3-5 feet, however I have never heard of one growing that large in an aquarium (and a freshwater one at that, since when they mature they move to brackish and when they get really big, I believe they even move to full SW).

One FW moray eel would be a great fit. They are pricey though. Shoot me a PM if you are interested as I will be importing some soon.
Wait would gymnothorax polyuranodon outgrow a 55g?

PartyHacks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2019
Wait would gymnothorax polyuranodon outgrow a 55g?
Nope, I think it would be perfect for one. They do not sprawl out like you would expect, they stay wrapped. In the wild, if they fully extended, they would be less defended. They curl up to feel secure.

Fire eel, nah
Gymnothorax Tile - actually a 100% brackish fish that would die within weeks
Gymnothorax Polyuranodon - yeah man, get one, they are awesome

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Nope, I think it would be perfect for one. They do not sprawl out like you would expect, they stay wrapped. In the wild, if they fully extended, they would be less defended. They curl up to feel secure.

Fire eel, nah
Gymnothorax Tile - actually a 100% brackish fish that would die within weeks
Gymnothorax Polyuranodon - yeah man, get one, they are awesome
Damn I’m quite confused. I searched up gymnothorax poly, people who have kept it before say they eat feeder guppies and shrimp. My 55g has many community fish like honey gouramis and cardinal tetras, and I’m worried if I do get one it will be eaten.

Reactions: PartyHacks

PartyHacks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2019
Damn I’m quite confused. I searched up gymnothorax poly, people who have kept it before say they eat feeder guppies and shrimp. My 55g has many community fish like honey gouramis and cardinal tetras, and I’m worried if I do get one it will be eaten.
Yeah it's possible lol. I don't keep mine with any, and they only ever were able to eat the guppies and stuff when I held them tongs. I wouldn't risk it then if the fish are that small to be honest. There are some smaller eels too like zig zags and stuff, but I have found that the colors are not up to par with the ones we mentioned.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store