Gymnothorax polyuranodon / True freshwater moray

Xeno

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Germany
Hey,
Three months ago I was able to get 8 G.polyuranodon for the best price I've ever seen.
I have kept G.tile in a brackish setup before so taking care of morays isn't new to me.
The 8 specimen are between 7 and 10in long.
For the first weeks they'd only eat live tubifex and frozen bloodworms but now I got them to eat pretty much every variety of small frozen foods (no mussels or smelts though).
They currently are in an 80cm tank.
Since they don't require much space and grow slowly iI will upgrade them to a 100cm soon which should suit them for a while (no worries I've got 14 tanks and no issue with upgrading them further).
I really enjoy keeping these buggers.
Now they know when it's about time they get fed every day and they become active around that time.
They are currently undergoing a "tank mate trial" well, since they are freshly wc specimen I kept them by themselves first.
I introduced some malawi culls to their tank now and they are leaving them alone.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Beautiful - I’d love some of these one day. I’m sure as they grow the cichlids may not be as safe, but if they’re fast enough they should be good.

Xeno

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Germany
Hey,
Those are culls anyways with deformed fins.
I usually spot those when they are half an inch long but I obviously messed up with that spawn.
I would love to keep them with my three fire eels which are around 10in long but I am quite hesitant not knowing if they'd go after tank mates or not so I am observing their behaviour towards the cichlids.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Hey,
Three months ago I was able to get 8 G.polyuranodon for the best price I've ever seen.
I have kept G.tile in a brackish setup before so taking care of morays isn't new to me.
The 8 specimen are between 7 and 10in long.
For the first weeks they'd only eat live tubifex and frozen bloodworms but now I got them to eat pretty much every variety of small frozen foods (no mussels or smelts though).
They currently are in an 80cm tank.
Since they don't require much space and grow slowly iI will upgrade them to a 100cm soon which should suit them for a while (no worries I've got 14 tanks and no issue with upgrading them further).
I really enjoy keeping these buggers.
Now they know when it's about time they get fed every day and they become active around that time.
They are currently undergoing a "tank mate trial" well, since they are freshly wc specimen I kept them by themselves first.
I introduced some malawi culls to their tank now and they are leaving them alone.

Well someone just got a new subscriber after checking out the YT channel. Love those crassi oscars!

I love Moray Eel surprised I don't have one of those.
Here we go again with the long thin fishies. Time for a new tank I reckon.

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
Lovely fish
Do they interact at all?
I've had one about 14 months now I very rarely see it tbh its in my sump as it kept going down through the weir but I have a new tank set up so will put it in there. Its about 15" long but very narrow. They are so much quieter and less boisterous than the G Tiles I kept about 15 years ago. The Tiles used to lft themselves out of the water in a frenzy for food from memory

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store