Gymnothorax tile: Erratic Swimming

wkwan

Feeder Fish
Feb 6, 2014
South Salt Lake
Hi, I am new to the forum and relatively new to the aquarium hobby in general. I have a 40 gallon brackish tank that I keep two freshwater morays in and one has began domonstrating some odd behavior. Right now he is swimming all around the tank, sometimes just cutting back and forth in a zig zag, and seems stressed. My other eel is simply hiding in a pagoda I have watching the other one swim around and probably thinking he is crazy. Earlier this week, I noticed the same eel that is having the problems now, hiding in a rock with his head turned sideways. As I watched him, he did a full circle until he was right side up again, then pulled back into his cave. Because of this, I thought it might be a water quality issue, so I checked the water and everything seemed fine. (ammonia, nitrates, SG at 1.012, temp at 78 F) Just to be safe, I did a 20% water change and now he is way more active than before and not in a good way. What I want to know is am I being paranoid or is there something wrong with my eel. I have tried to research as much as I can, and so far, a lot of eels that turn upside down for a bit or swim erratically seem to die and I do not want this to happen to my fish. I know eels are hard to treat for diseases, so if anyone has any experience recuperating an eel, I would appreciate the help.

Tank Specs: 40 Gallon Brackish
SG 1.012, Temp 78 F
not sure on hardness or ph, I use tap water which i de-clorinate then add marine salt.
2 over the back power filters
Tank mates: 2 Freshwater Morrays, 1 Archer Fish, 1 Silver Scat, 2 Flounders, 1 Eclipse Catfish, and a few ghost shrimp and feeder guppies. [h=1][/h]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store