H. Malabaricus question

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Do these eat mammals in the wild? I keep frozen mice on hand for my snake and am wondering if I should mix in an occasional mouse for the mala

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Known to eat birds and other non-fish occasionally. Including a mouse or rat, I’m sure. Wouldn’t do it personally as it’s not a normal. Better to be safe than sorry.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Do these eat mammals in the wild? I keep frozen mice on hand for my snake and am wondering if I should mix in an occasional mouse for the mala
Similar to what kno4te mentioned, even if they occasionally eat mammals in the wild, I would personally avoid feeding any fish mammalian meat whenever possible (aside from super lean beefheart). They can't digest mammalian lipids/fats, which then end up wreaking havoc on their internal organs like the liver.
You can think of it as the fish equivalent of people eating trans fats. Even if we eat them sometimes they're not good for us, and will wreak havoc on our insides.

Reactions: Joshuakahan

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
What's your definition of occasional? You have to remember in the wild that eating once a week is a feast for these larger predators.
I didn’t really have a set schedule for trying mice, was probably gonna try it once a month to 6weeks, but if doesn’t benefit him, I’m not going to

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store