Hagen Iron test, how accurate?

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
I bought one of those master test kits by Hagen, the one that comes in it's own "briefcase" and has every test I'll ever use for freshwater. :woot:

Anyways, my FIL's girlfriend wanted me to test her 20 gallon's water. Well, I got the readings I expected from every test but one, the iron test.

According to the iron test, there was absolutly no iron in the water, the test vial remained clear, for both free and cheleted forms. I repeated the test twice. This has to be wrong!

There is an iron ore mine across the river that they live on. They have a well that is about 100 feet from the river. The said river is RED with iron, and has been forever.

In this town, everyone's well water will turn white clothes brown, and will even tint light colored hair after awhile. Sinks, tubs, etc., all have rust streaks and the products Iron Out and CLR is in everyone's cabinet. I lived in said town for over 10 years, and I know what I'm talking about.

No filter system has been set up on their plumbing yet (new house, about 6 months old.)

In short, I know there is iron in the water, so why isn't the test showing it? :confused:

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
try buying another test
try one from aquarium pharm. work decent

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
Does AP make an iron test? Before I got my Hagen I used AP's test and don't recall seeing an iron one at my LFS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store