Hampala macrolepidota aka the Hampala barb or Jungle perch at Fish Story

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
This one too I got from Rapps in the same shipment in Jan 2019. This one is not drab looking with some black and red markings, spots, stripes, and lines. It was ~5". Now after 5 months probably about 6". Barely growing.

Look for this fish in the following video.

download (2).jpg

Google images:

download (3).jpgdownload (4).jpgimages (8).jpgdownload (5).jpgdownload (6).jpgimages (4).jpgimages (5).jpgimages (6).jpgimages (7).jpgimages (9).jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The macrolepidota seems to continue growing exceedingly slowly, having added in another 6 months perhaps an inch to bring it to about 7", despite having a good appetite and being comfortable. (Sorry, the video is not edited for the most relevant content.) Here is the hampala and its current tank mates in their 240 gal:

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Thanks for your observations, Viktor. Had a bit of a hiatus away from the hobby but glad to return to you and your fish doing well :) Hampala, like all predatory cyprinids, is one of my special interests. Supposedly they form groups in nature, have you only ever kept this one alone?

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
This is the only one I have ever had. I like it too. I think I shortchanged it a bit in the above post. Looking at it more, I'd say it is more like 8"-9" now. So that's not a spectacular growth but a far better growth than I had led to believe.

Reactions: Chub_by

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hampala in 1800 gal. Had to be pulled out of 25K because a wels catfish went in there. Maybe 10"-11":

100_9325.JPG100_9326.JPG100_9327.JPG

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Looking well. Good to see at 10-11” it still looks the same as the 2 I have at 5-6”. Have had them about 5 month now and growth is exceedingly slow (very similar to the growth on my mahseers) maybe 1” in this time. The two are very happy to shoal with the 8 filament barbs. Was expecting growth on the Hampalas and the mahseer more akin to lemon fin or tinfoils so this has been a pleasant surprise to not have to rehouse them to the pond already.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
Looking well. Good to see at 10-11” it still looks the same as the 2 I have at 5-6”. Have had them about 5 month now and growth is exceedingly slow (very similar to the growth on my mahseers) maybe 1” in this time. The two are very happy to shoal with the 8 filament barbs. Was expecting growth on the Hampalas and the mahseer more akin to lemon fin or tinfoils so this has been a pleasant surprise to not have to rehouse them to the pond already.
Very glad to hear some insight like this. I was considering getting a trio to put with 6 filament barbs, was worried they would beat up the barbs and outgrow them quickly. I’m highly considering grabbing them while tuic has them in

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store