Hard Choiches

Max321

Feeder Fish
Jun 24, 2018
Hello!
I have a planted 40 gallon tank and i want to stock it with 3 Amazon Leaf Fish and a few African Butterfly Fish or a channa gachua....which one would be more enjoyable? Because i don't think i can combine them and i like both ideas ):

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Personally a fully planted tank with a whole bunch of leaf fish would be such a great tank. Think it’ll be boring till feeders aren’t in there. Large butterfly fish won’t get eaten by the leaf fish and won’t stress out the leaf fish.

Channa aren’t kept in the US. So I’d lean toward that way.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
What is the scientific name of the leaf fish? There are a few different fish that have the common name of leaf fish or amazon leaf fish.

I have african butterfly fish and I can tell you that they are aggressive with each other. Not enough to out right kill each other but over time the one that has been picked up will die. If I were you I would go with a minimum of 8 or go with 1.

Max321

Feeder Fish
Jun 24, 2018
I'm not in the USA and i think most fish are legal here.
The scientific name is MONOCIRRHUS POLYACANTHUS....these won't go off live food...i think...would they take earthworms? I'm gonna set up a feeder farm anyway, but i'm just corious....and what feeder is better? Molly, platy, swordtail, guppy or something else?

Reactions: tlindsey

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
pics?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The scientific name is MONOCIRRHUS POLYACANTHUS....these won't go off live food...i think...would they take earthworms? I'm gonna set up a feeder farm anyway, but i'm just corious....and what feeder is better? Molly, platy, swordtail, guppy or something else?
Won’t take earthworms or get off of feeders. I’d try and make it a black water tank if ur able. Guppies will work.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yes never heard of anyone that kept the Amazon Leaf fish got them to eat non living food. Quarantine and breed your own feeders. i think Guppies would be perfect for them but small Molly, and Sword tail may be eaten as well. Honestly do not know about the Earthworms,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store