hardy fast breeding snails

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
thinking about getting some puffer soon. I want to have a supply a snails to feed them. Whats an easy hard fast breeding snail? thanks. Oh and no MTS.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
the ramshorn look good.
Are mystery snails hard to difficutl breed? they get a nice size

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
the ramshorn look good.
Are mystery snails hard to difficutl breed? they get a nice size
I was looking into mystery snails a few years ago while trying to find a snail that my goldfish wouldn't eat (for the record I didn't find one). From what I remember reading mystery snails are among the few snails that aren't asexual, you need a male and female for them to breed and sexing them can be a pain as you're looking for a little tube thingy under the shell. How easily they breed once you have a male and female I've got no idea.

What about the little "pond snails"? I don't know what their actual name is, but they'll breed infinitely as long as there's enough food for them, and you only need one to begin with. Only thing is these guys don't get very big, the biggest one I've seen in my tanks was about the size of an Australian 5¢ coin so if you're getting a larger puffer these guys might not cut it. :)

A pic of one, this guy was about the size of a woman's pinky nail and cruising along the waters surface which I thought was really cool.IMG_20160923_180620_294.JPG

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Most people who keep dwarf puffers recommend ramshorn or pest pond snails as food source...

Both are quite happy to breed in aquaria, although pest snails will probably be the best for their prolific breeding...

Reactions: tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Ramshorns breed very easily and seem to breed at any size too, I have some varying from 2-7mm that I've observed breeding so they get busy :)

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store