has anyone kept Lepidocephalichthys guntea“peppered loach”?

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
i cant find much on this loach i was thinking of buying the one at the lfs and was curious if it ate snails and shrimp like botia loaches?

Reactions: tlindsey

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
MFK archives point to no. From my few minute search on google, I learned they are quite pretty, and very timid. One site says it is just a variant of the dojo loach, which seems to be correct. Anyone else?

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
MFK archives point to no. From my few minute search on google, I learned they are quite pretty, and very timid. One site says it is just a variant of the dojo loach, which seems to be correct. Anyone else?
at lfs ive asked several times if it was like a dojo loach they say no. all i found was that it inhabits still waters and has a labrynth lung. it doesnt have the slanted head like the snail eating loaches. so im hoping it wouldnt eat my shrimp? its called a jaguar or panther loach at the lfs but the common name online seems to be peppered loach.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Hmm. Should be cautious about the shrimp. I would like to be of good use, but I dont know anything else about these species.

Reactions: djsaltynuts

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Lepidocephalichthys
spp. are peaceful both with one another and other fishes and there exist no reports of them harming tankmates though they may prey on eggs or fry.
This was copied and pasted from

Also happier in groups of 4 or more.

I would say ask Wes *fugu puff ? (on here I'm not even sure) * if he has dealt with this particular loach as he usually bring in rarer loaches.

To me I would assume this fish will be enjoying snacking on small shrimplets if it is a micro predator in nature looking for small organisms etc

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
This was copied and pasted from

Also happier in groups of 4 or more.

I would say ask Wes *fugu puff ? (on here I'm not even sure) * if he has dealt with this particular loach as he usually bring in rarer loaches.

To me I would assume this fish will be enjoying snacking on small shrimplets if it is a micro predator in nature looking for small organisms etc
they only have one for sale unfortunately. i wanted him to eat the snail left overs from my pea puffer and my main concern is him eating the live food before the puffer gets to it.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store