Has anyone owned a Dormitator maculatus (Fat Sleeper Goby)

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
I bought one today and just wanted to know a bit about them.

Like temperament, ideal diet etc, and if they eat small fish.

I can't seem to find much out about them, other than fishbase saying they grow to about 2 foot.

Cheers,
JR

Fish Room Plus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
they will eat small fish. Very easy to lean on to pellets, meaty foods. When there young, they have nice colors, as they get larger, it fade to a dull gray. They will always beg for food :grinyes:

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
thanks for the info - do you know what size fish a 5 inch, pretty chunky dormitator would be capable of eating? Nothing that big right? Only guppy size things?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I did a quick search on the Dormitator maculatus for you,
max size 28" but can breed at any size above 4"s
temp. range- 72-82 degrees F.
salinity- 0.0-21ppt (they do like a little)
Temperment, noncombative but eat small fish
ph range- 6.5-8.0
origin, Mainly Carribbean islands and coastal areas of Gulf of Mexico
Diet, Anything, they are omnivores and eat plants, inverts, fish, and even detritus so don't freak if you see it sucking in mouthfuls of sand or gravel and them spitting them back out.
Habits, They like to dig and sometimes make hollows under drift would, they seem to prefer planted tanks and tanks containing structure like rocks and driftwood and show best color over dark substrate, often breed after major water changes and high protien conditioning.
They will build and defend nesting pits, the eggs are tiny as are the fry which need liquid fry food.
Thats about all I found.

Fish Room Plus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
rumblesushi said:
thanks for the info - do you know what size fish a 5 inch, pretty chunky dormitator would be capable of eating? Nothing that big right? Only guppy size things?

easy 2.5 :drool: inch fish

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Don't think I agree about them fading to dull gray as they get older. Here's a pic of my breeding pair of 1 footers. The female goes blue most of the time and the male goes sunset orange.They're in a med brackish tank with limestone for hardness and elevated pH. They ate the last few batches of 2000-3000 eggs. I just set up a large hatcher for the next time they go for it. My pair feed on live minnows, cut shrimp, mysis, baby crays, predator sticks, earthworm sticks, and cut catfish fillets.

sleepergobiessm.jpg

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Barely. They've both grown more in girth than in length. I've been offering foods high in protein, amino acids, and fat to promote healthy egg development in the female. Of course, I can't keep the male away from this rich food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store