Has anyone seen this before?...

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
so I was just feeding my pacu some algae pellets and out of nowhere it just snapped. It shot himself against a big piece of driftwood and took a chunk out of his gill plate. As I was inspecting the chunk missing I noticed he had a peculiar dark spot in his nostril. It looks like he must have sniffed up a chunk of maybe old carbon or a rock or something.

It looks quite painful and irritating. This being said he still hasn't finished the pellets I gave him. Anyone who has a pacu knows this is highly unusual. Has anyone ever dealt with this before? Is there something I can do? Do I need to get clove oil and some tweezers? Am I freaking out for nothing? Any help appreciated.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would give the fish a little clove oil (5drops per
Gallon) and use tweezers and forceps to pull whatever it is out. Then place in a bucket with tank water and a bubbler. Should be quick.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Thanks kno4te kno4te tbh this really freaks me out, I don't want to mess him up !!! I might have to go get those tools tomorrow though, and pull out my cooler.

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
fish spook easy if they feel they have nowhere to run, pacu are very active and need loads of room. I had 2 in a 6x2x2 had to give them to someone with a bigger tank, old fish books are in accurate said they would reach 40cm …. should have said 90 cm +

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store