Has this happened before?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
People like to use non aquatic plants in tanks with their roots in the water, well has anyone ever heard of someone using an actual tree? Like a Japanese maple in a huge tank for example. I know this sounds crazy but I got to thinking about it and if it has happened before then I figure that it would be on this site. Feel free to call me crazy lol.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
People like to use non aquatic plants in tanks with their roots in the water, well has anyone ever heard of someone using an actual tree? Like a Japanese maple in a huge tank for example. I know this sounds crazy but I got to thinking about it and if it has happened before then I figure that it would be on this site. Feel free to call me crazy lol.
Heard of something similar. Seen a salt tank with a small mangrove tree in it but not a freshwater setup.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

No not a live Japanese Maple. Possibly the tree stump of the Japanese Maple after it died.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Any tree that would do well in a bog would be doable,

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I was thinking of an evergreen tree until it got too big might do ok in a tank. The main reason I was thinking about stuff like this was because I think a tree would help keep the parameters in check like crazy.

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
I was thinking of an evergreen tree until it got too big might do ok in a tank. The main reason I was thinking about stuff like this was because I think a tree would help keep the parameters in check like crazy.
ever greens like there tops wet and bottoms dry.....try a weeping willow or perhaps an american Sycamore. Mangrove would be ideal.....

Reactions: tlindsey

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Don't mangrove trees grow slower or not as big in freshwater? I know they don't develop the crazy root system in freshwater that they do in saltwater.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store