Having problems and need help

top dog

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2013
South Africa
Hey all need some help. I have 2 small female hybrid rays, had them for 1 day short of 3 months. They have been doing really well up till the last 10 days or so. Was feeding them a raw sea food mix made up of shrimp, muscles, pang filets and squid. With earthworms once a week as treats. Both ate it fine and where doing well. I was unable to find same mix and had to try using blanched muscles and shrimp witch seemed to work well, both where eating it well till 10 days ago. Larger of the 2 is still eating it well but my smaller one stopped eating. She had gone on a hunger strike for lack of better discription. tried earthworms last night and she really DID NOT go after them with much gusto at all. This afternoon noticed some green and white poop in the tank, quite different from usaul dark brown squiggle poop. She has indent in her forehead and tail is noticeably thinner.
Only changes I have made to the tank is changed filter floss in filter.
Water test are all good no ammonia, or nitrate on test and nitrite is 10ppm lowest reading on test. Water changes are 30% twice a week.
Help please with feed back or any other avenues you think I should try

Thanks in advance

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
T top dog

Lets see what the more experienced guys say but... I think nitrite should be zero
Maybe do a slightly bigger water change to bring it back into line

The green and white poop is a bit strange if she hasnt eaten anything that could cause it

I think Prazi is a good idea.. but lets see what others think

top dog

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2013
South Africa
Thanks MariaS MariaS
Really hoping for some mfk magic feed back, and agree Parazi sounds like a idea. Have done large water change already and I am now sitting watching her sit in a pile of chop up earthworms that she is no eating.

top dog

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2013
South Africa
Prazi will be bought and dosed tomorrow, hopefully that is my answer. Starting to stress and can not believe how quickly this little ray has gone backwards.
Thanks for advice so far and will update with solution hopefully very soon

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Exotic Aquatics LLC

Piranha
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Sorry to hear!

How old is your test kit? Is it an Api liquid test kit? What's your tap water test at after running it for a few minutes?

My first thought is parasites to be honest but I've also seen older, or not so old test kits give false readings.. if the kit is newer and those are the actual readings their not bad. As previously stated go for zero across the board, if any wold be ok to let creep it should be nitrate. As its the least toxic.

Not sure the form of prazi your getting but I use the powder version. One dose is usually good for a one week bath. Followed by a big water change, and a redose. For a total of 3 treatments. I usually give them a day or two inbetween doses as to not over stress the animals.

Live blackworms or bloodworms are great to help get them eating again..

Hope it works out!

top dog

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2013
South Africa
Sorry to hear!

How old is your test kit? Is it an Api liquid test kit? What's your tap water test at after running it for a few minutes?

My first thought is parasites to be honest but I've also seen older, or not so old test kits give false readings.. if the kit is newer and those are the actual readings their not bad. As previously stated go for zero across the board, if any wold be ok to let creep it should be nitrate. As its the least toxic.

Not sure the form of prazi your getting but I use the powder version. One dose is usually good for a one week bath. Followed by a big water change, and a redose. For a total of 3 treatments. I usually give them a day or two inbetween doses as to not over stress the animals.

Live blackworms or bloodworms are great to help get them eating again..

Hope it works out!
Test kit is jbl and 2 months old
Thanks I will do as suggested

top dog

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2013
South Africa
Okay
So morning updated: she seems to be breathing a lot faster than normal this morning and there is definitely some white poop floating about. So all signs seem to be parasites. (Correct me if I am wrong)
To ensure I am winning today my geyser just burst so winning at life

Reactions: Exotic Aquatics LLC
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store