Having Trouble Breeding!

RobD23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2005
The Rex
Ok so my female red dragon flower horn has been laying eggs on a biweekly basis. I've tried everything accept removing the divider to let the breeding work...yet my male has not proven himself yet...What am i doing wrong...what should i be doing...should i try to remove the divider? I did the old switcharoo when the female laid the eggs three days ago, at first the male was tending to the, then i notice they were all gone.:confused:

YOOPER

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2006
Da U.P.
I assume that "not proven himself" means he is not fertilizing the eggs? I had a similar situation with my fish. I think water current and a poor divider prevented the male from being able to prove himself. What is your setup?

RobD23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2005
The Rex
i have a divider made up of the screen used on floresent lights ...You might see them in schools and buildings. They are actually quite good for breeding. I also have an air pump and a filter ...so the water should be in constant motion...the only possibility is the water quality being off.

YOOPER

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2006
Da U.P.
Could be. Male Fh are not normaly sterile so that should not be the problem. I guess if the tank is large enough try to combine them when you can be around to watch. You may want to give them some target fish first. I had a similar problem with my male Fh until I moved him to a 125 with multiple target fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store