Having Trouble Deciding...

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
As the title states, I'm having a little trouble deciding on which fish to order... Jeff Rapps has Hoplarchus Psittacus in stock, while COTA has Vieja Coatzacoalcos. As far as I know both fish have nearly equal rarity, and their color is quite similar. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

jonclark96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Frederick MD
Tank size and water parameters would be at the top of my list for making the decision. Both are cool fish, but the Hoplarchus will get pretty big and can be aggressive for a South American cichlid. I also believe they prefer soft water to prosper. I've seen quite a few with HITH that could be attributed to hard water conditions. The coats stay smaller and would do well in hard water conditions.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Tank size and water parameters would be at the top of my list for making the decision. Both are cool fish, but the Hoplarchus will get pretty big and can be aggressive for a South American cichlid. I also believe they prefer soft water to prosper. I've seen quite a few with HITH that could be attributed to hard water conditions. The coats stay smaller and would do well in hard water conditions.
It's a 7x2x2 210, and the water comes soft out of the tap, so neither tank size nor water params will be an issue.

Reactions: tlindsey

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Coatzacoalcos will do better in harder water, also can be very aggressive and grow to 14 inch plus.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I'm looking for fish to make the order worth the shipping. Would Hypsophrys nicaraguensis work? My stock is just mixed cichlids ranging from Firemouths to an 8" BP.

Cincelichthys bocourti is another species I'm considering.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I'm looking for fish to make the order worth the shipping. Would Hypsophrys nicaraguensis work? My stock is just mixed cichlids ranging from Firemouths to an 8" BP.

Cincelichthys bocourti is another species I'm considering.
Thoughts?

tlindsey tlindsey dan518 dan518 Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store