Haw hard is it to keep native fish?

gofish

Feeder Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Bolton ON
Assuming it is legal and I get a big enough tank. (see previous post) How hard is it to keep Bass, Perch or Sunfish?
I have 2 Cichlid tanks right now with yellow labs , clown loach's, Johanni's, Frontosa's, and Albino BN pleco's.
How would they compare to the Cichlids.
What do the Bass eat? Do I have to by minnows?

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
They are all pretty easy to keep, the hardest part would probably be getting the bass to eat dry foods but eventually it might with some work. Their care is basically like that of American cichlids but without a heater. Sunfish tend to be very aggresive and bass and perch are pretty easy going.
As for the bass's diet. Try frozen foods, insects, worms, fish and stuff like that. If you are willing to put forth a bit of work you could convert it to fish food.

drewish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2006
VA
forum.nanfa.org
The cheapest food you will get away with feeding bass would probably be raw shrimp. Many people have converted their bass to dead food and pellets. Minnows would be expensive to purchase as bass will eat a lot of them. You can use them as periodic treats. It took me two weeks to convert my adult yellow perch to raw shrimp. He took pellets shorty after that.
Other than that it is like sandtiger said, just keep up with the maintenance just like other tanks just without a heater.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
My bass eats dried krill, meal worms, ghost shrimp, and the occasional feeder or small child.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store