Head-bashing @ top-brace?

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Q: Is there a way to keep arowana (in my case silver) from braining themselves on glass structural top-bracing?

I see some have wrapped in tube-foam, but that's not an option for me.
Or paint to mitigate sight hunting of any escapee roaches/crickets/frogs, but again aesthetic & light penetration are considerations.

To set lilies/lettuce and with current to press the leaves under the (euro) brace?
To keep the tank full-full to minimize jump inertia, which seems to be working(?) in the current grow-out system?
Any & all thoughts welcome.

qldmick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2016
zip tying some foam (like from a Styrofoam box) to the underside of the braces.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
"zip tying some foam (like from a Styrofoam box) to the underside of the braces."
Foam covers would be on the list but for the aesthetics - I can't do anything that will be visible. Tank is tall & mounted fairly high on the wall, so viewing (of aro) will be primarily from below, to & through the water surface including bracing & lights, even with cross-surface flow. Unfortunately "from below" also suggests the worst possible location for spooking an arowana, thus softer decor choices including long/stringy plants.

qldmick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2016
would something like this camping mattress look better? I have some cut up under my tanks.
BCF_campmattress.jpg

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I picture of your tank would help with some possible ideas. Understood about looks and funtional. In this hobby we have to just be creative.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I have no experience with what you want to do but what about some clear flexible vinyl/PVC/plastic table top protector, it comes in varying thicknesses.

Or maybe bubble wrap and you can wrap it around the bracing and tape it on top where it wouldn't get wet. Not sure whether the smaller diameter or larger diameter 'bubbles' would work better and be less obtrusive.

tetroid

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2009
Salish Sea
Could you conceal dark foam padding by wrapping pothos around it? if it’s nice and humid, you could shred the foam a bit and try growing moss out of it as well. In time, it could pass for an overhanging log.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
I've given up on the glass eurobrace for a couple of reasons, opting for 2" flat-bar (steel). It'll be dark & fish-visible from underneath & hopefully not "tempting" to try to jump through, though I'd prefer to paint it white... let's see.

We'll set filament plants & lily at the front corners (had an aesthetic SNAFU at the glass-wall junction) & I'll try to set the flows for them to drag or pool along that top-front; however, this will get in the way of feeding.
Let's see... an evolution, certainly.

Thanks for inputs so far. The idea of topping with potted/bagged "soil" (or similar) or aged timber concealing with pothos/vining plants is good, but might also give a possibly dangerous jump-hunting opportunity, particularly with live roaches/frogs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store