Healing powers of atf

fishy_123

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
home
7 days ago my 6" mala wolf tried to eat my 5" atf. Luckily I was there when it happened, broke it up and transferred the wolf. It was a pretty bad bite, anal fin and a good chunk of flesh was gone. I thought this fish was a gonner, but after just API salt treatment, the open wound is dry and healing fast.IMG_1978.JPG

7 days agoIMG_1973.JPG
IMG_1972.JPG
Just sharing coz I'm happy my fish didn't die.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Glad to hear.

fishy_123

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
home
No chance of anal fin growing back right? Will this injury cause any negative effects later on? Right now swimming seems the same.. attitudewise still eats anything I offer

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
An otherwise healthy fish in clean water can recover from some pretty horrible injuries.
I’ve caught fish out of the wild with missing parts but healed.
Glad it recovered.

Reactions: RD. and deeda

fishy_123

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
home
An otherwise healthy fish in clean water can recover from some pretty horrible injuries.
I’ve caught fish out of the wild with missing parts but healed.
Glad it recovered.
Thanks! Amazing how fast they recover though.. I really thought he was'nt gonna make it after the trashing he got. But yeah really stoked he lives?

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
That's a remarkable improvement in a very short period of time. It speaks well for your keeping good water quality and providing good care. That was a one nasty wound.
Re- your question about the anal fin growing back -
Although I don't claim expertise, my feel is not a chance. It seems the bony base of the fin is gone.Otherwise the fish should continue to do well.
Congrats and good luck!

fishy_123

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
home
That's a remarkable improvement in a very short period of time. It speaks well for your keeping good water quality and providing good care. That was a one nasty wound.
Re- your question about the anal fin growing back -
Although I don't claim expertise, my feel is not a chance. It seems the bony base of the fin is gone.Otherwise the fish should continue to do well.
Congrats and good luck!
Thanks brother! was very surprised myself.. I think I got a tough fish as well, hours after the incident he was feeding and swimming normally as if nothing had happened. Yeah it seems its gonna be that way, but oh well I'm happy that he lives.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store