Nov 24, 2013
WA
and ask again tank size.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
It seems like every brand of heater I buy has condensation on the inside or takes very little time to build up condensation.
hello; I was forced to buy a submersible heater a year or so ago as I can not find the older style which mounted on the rim of a tank. I also noted condensation inside the heater. I decided to run it anyway and it did fine all last winter.
I did do one modification in a sense. I used the suction cups to place it so the part with the temp adjustment knob (top I guess) was out of the water. I did this for two reasons. One is the notion of having my hand in the water when adjusting an 120 volt electrical device does not appeal to me. I know I am old but the whole ideal of a submerged heater is nuts.
The other reason was to have the top out of the water so that the condensation would have a chance to cook off if the seals would allow such to happen. It is not clear to me if the slight condensation is normal or a sign of a problem.

Not sure how well s 300w heater would do putting out 1200 watts.
hello; I think you will need four 300 watt heaters to get 1200 watts capacity.

not sure what you mean by 300w heater putting out 1200w
Hello; This.

and ask again tank size.
hello; This.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
hello; I was forced to buy a submersible heater a year or so ago as I can not find the older style which mounted on the rim of a tank. I also noted condensation inside the heater. I decided to run it anyway and it did fine all last winter.
I did do one modification in a sense. I used the suction cups to place it so the part with the temp adjustment knob (top I guess) was out of the water. I did this for two reasons. One is the notion of having my hand in the water when adjusting an 120 volt electrical device does not appeal to me. I know I am old but the whole ideal of a submerged heater is nuts.
The other reason was to have the top out of the water so that the condensation would have a chance to cook off if the seals would allow such to happen. It is not clear to me if the slight condensation is normal or a sign of a problem.

Hello; This.

hello; This.
That’s actually not a bad idea!!!

I have heaters I was using, they just have condensation inside and it makes me nervous.

But I like your idea of keeping the top temperature control above the waterline with the heater part submerged.

I may give this a try with my current heats for this winter and see how they fair.

I was going to replace the heaters in my 33g tank and 90g tank. ( I just bought both heaters last summer) so I’m not fussy on the idea of buying a new set of heaters..

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Not if I try to plug in an american 120v heater into the 230v mains supply here. I mean, not for more than a few seconds. I already explained why. And the jagers I found for sale on Amazon, the few that would ship to NZ, didn't list voltages or give options to select voltages for them.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Not if I try to plug in an american 120v heater into the 230v mains supply here. I mean, not for more than a few seconds. I already explained why. And the jagers I found for sale on Amazon, the few that would ship to NZ, didn't list voltages or give options to select voltages for them.
hello; I have seen adaptors for sale so that various electronics can be used when people travel. it is also my take that the plugs are shaped differently in various countries.

I have a 240 volt shop air compressor I use with automotive air tools. It takes a special plug and has to be wired into my breaker box a bit different than a 120 volt appliance. It is pretty much confined to the one place as I had to run dedicated wiring to it. If I recall correctly a 240 volt here in USA has two 120 volt hot leads and one ground. I never tried to run 240 into a 120 device.
I bought a new shop air compressor lately that runs on 120 volt so I can move it about to any household outlet.

Yulli

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2016
If I were you I would track down one of the Eheim ThermoControl line heaters, built for 230v, however if you are dead set on the Jager line then you will need a step down transformer, just make sure you get it large enough to handle the wattage of the heaters plus a bit.

Reactions: Niki_up

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
If I were you I would track down one of the Eheim ThermoControl line heaters, built for 230v, however if you are dead set on the Jager line then you will need a step down transformer, just make sure you get it large enough to handle the wattage of the heaters plus a bit.
Or I could just buy a Jager locally or or from a source that I know is the correct 230v rather than try to get it from an american company. Anyway, getting way off OP's topic.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Or I could just buy a Jager locally or or from a source that I know is the correct 230v rather than try to get it from an american company. Anyway, getting way off OP's topic.
No worries, I quite enjoy reading what others talk about on the forum! It all heater talk so carry on

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store