Heating the big boys and setting up dual canisters

Goonie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2019
Northern Virginia
Fo the 185 I finally got leveled I will be hooking up the 2 fx6s this week end. I have two lingering questions.

Heaters for a tank this size ( in a basement) it's normally between 65 and 72 down there and I want to run the tank around 80 for Africans

Any advice one heater and controller ?

The fx 6s how would you guys install I have two holes on each rear corner of the tank and well as two holes drilled for the heaters.

Should I build spray bars or am I over complicating this.?

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Goonie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2019
Northern Virginia
It's drilled up top. Not on the bottom prolly should have mentioned that sry (acrylic)
Still need to finish topping it off and do a little cleaning of the water. So I have time :)

I had a fluval e300 in a 55 down there and it struggled to keep a solid 80 by its self ( once I added a little 100w aquarion pro it's been stable, you sure two 300s would be solid enough should one fail ?

IMG_20191119_213735099.jpg

Reactions: TheWolfman

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Fo the 185 I finally got leveled I will be hooking up the 2 fx6s this week end. I have two lingering questions.

Heaters for a tank this size ( in a basement) it's normally between 65 and 72 down there and I want to run the tank around 80 for Africans

Any advice one heater and controller ?

The fx 6s how would you guys install I have two holes on each rear corner of the tank and well as two holes drilled for the heaters.

Should I build spray bars or am I over complicating this.?
If i was using canisters i would set them up like you're suggesting, through drains and returns on the back panel of the tank. Near the top of course. A lot of people use customized spraybars with cans i say make it how you want it.

Youre using inline heaters then? Im not sure how to best utilize those or where to drill. Never set one up.

Goonie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2019
Northern Virginia
No inlines to much splitting and plumbing for me to be comfy with. The inlines I want to say are 3/4 and the fx6 uses 1in hose

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
It's drilled up top. Not on the bottom prolly should have mentioned that sry (acrylic)
Still need to finish topping it off and do a little cleaning of the water. So I have time :)

I had a fluval e300 in a 55 down there and it struggled to keep a solid 80 by its self ( once I added a little 100w aquarion pro it's been stable, you sure two 300s would be solid enough should one fail ?

View attachment 1395532
I ran that same setup on my 220. You’ll be good on heat. I had my fx6s setup with the intakes in the corners and returns in the middle. Are you planning on hard plumbing your canisters?

Goonie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2019
Northern Virginia
Not likely as the cichlids grow, and I get more comfortable with sumps I will likely transition to a sump and start a new 150 for fronts and move one of the fxs over there

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
I have been running two fluval E300s on my 150 and so far so good. Maintaining a steady 82 degrees in my basement.

Goonie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2019
Northern Virginia
Hmm maybe I just had a bad one, I have a couple more may as well toss them in and see what happens through the cycle maybe add a 3rd for piece of mind

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store