Hecklii with Discus

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Hello, I have 3 juvi albino hecklii that are really growing out nice with great steamers. I originally was going to put them in my larger SA cichlid tank but am concerned even when bigger they'd get beat on a bit. In my experience they're a more docile than most. That said I'm debating on putting them into my planted 300 discus tank. These guys are just about 2" now. The tank is mostly hardscaped with some low light, durable plants. I'm not too worried about them with the handful of discus I have in there but more so with the rummynose and smaller tetras. What do you think?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello, I have 3 juvi albino hecklii that are really growing out nice with great steamers. I originally was going to put them in my larger SA cichlid tank but am concerned even when bigger they'd get beat on a bit. In my experience they're a more docile than most. That said I'm debating on putting them into my planted 300 discus tank. These guys are just about 2" now. The tank is mostly hardscaped with some low light, durable plants. I'm not too worried about them with the handful of discus I have in there but more so with the rummynose and smaller tetras. What do you think?
Personally I would not do it my Hecklii just died last night and he was a bully especially around food also chased a Datnoid away around its size until Datnoid got larger lol.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
mrrobxc mrrobxc
duanes duanes

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I would advise against it if possible. In a 300, it could work. Just make sure the discus get enough to eat.

Reactions: tlindsey

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Personally I would not do it my Hecklii just died last night and he was a bully especially around food also chased a Datnoid away around its size until Datnoid got larger lol.
I was hoping not to hear things like that. I've had 3 in my larger SA tank and they were constantly bullied by geos, heros and acaras. I loved their look but none of them made it more than a year.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yes thst was my experience with them i just don't want anything to happen to your Discus.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I've never had any aggression problems with Acarichthys, except with them killing each other.
But I have never tried to keep them with discus.
With a 300 gal, you may be fine.
From what I understand, tank size is the most critical element in holding their aggression down, and that anything under 200 gallons, is too small a space for them as adults.

Reactions: tlindsey

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Do you
I've never had any aggression problems with Acarichthys, except with them killing each other.
But I have never tried to keep them with discus.
With a 300 gal, you may be fine.
From what I understand, tank size is the most critical element in holding their aggression down, and that anything under 200 gallons, is too small a space for them as adults.
Your's are very nice looking. Do you think they'd eat the rummy nose?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Never kept them with tetras.
I don't see Acarichthys heckelli as a piscivores species, trying to chase down fast swimming prey, although if the fish is small enough, most any larger fish will take the opportunity if it arose.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store