Hee hee, just got a 375 gallon tank for $200 -- what should I put in it?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Just agreed to move into a new long-term villa rental here on the island. The clincher: the original home owner had left a 375 gallon tank behind, and the current owner has agreed to sell it to me for only $200 (I wanted to buy it so it really feels like mine, as opposed to renting it like the house). I suspect the owner actually hopes that I'll take it away when we likely move to a new place in 3 or 4 years.

It's 8ft X 30 in X 30 in. and very good condition -- just needs a good water change and cleaning, a bit of scaping and some additional filtration (will probably add one of the larger Sunsun canisters, a UV sterilizer, plus some new internal powerhead filters). They've got some T5 lights for it, which I'll surely replace with some new LED's. The stand could also use a bit of touching up, but otherwise it's all in fine shape.

New House 375 gallon Aquarium small.jpg

I'll be giving the goldfish to one of my staff, not to mentioning tossing the stupid marbles.

So the (eternal:) question is what should I put in it? I already have a nearly 12" MP Kamfa Flowerhorn in a 88g, so for the sake of variety am thinking smaller, maybe a bunch of Roseline Sharks or some kind of colorful schooling fish.

New House 375 gallon Aquarium 2 small.jpg

I love African cichlids but just don't have the time or desire to deal with all the drama, fighting, overstocking etc, though maybe a nice school of Frontosa could be cool.

Plenty of other similar threads here I know, but would still appreciate any opinions/input.

Btw, can anyone tell what type of rock that is in the tank? Looks a bit like dragon stone but it doesn't have a wavy surface or any bigger holes like ds has.

Last edited:

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Better pics of the rock can help,

As far as stocking how about: red rainbows, bosemanii rainbows, roseline sharks,bala sharks,elephant nose,lake chubsucker, Redfin zebra loach,studfish,endlers and eeltail banjos with 4 or 5 African knifefish

Reactions: islandguy11

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Whoa what a deal! Sweet tank.

Too many options to list for a tank that size. If youre looking for a challenge, something to keep you engaged, try a CA cichlid community. If you did want smaller fish in a community, i would go with a big southeast asia setup with a bunch of rainbows, spanner barbs, clown loaches, etc.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Better pics of the rock can help,

As far as stocking how about: red rainbows, bosemanii rainbows, roseline sharks,bala sharks,elephant nose,lake chubsucker, Redfin zebra loach,studfish,endlers and eeltail banjos with 4 or 5 African knifefish
Thanks for the input DV7, gonna go on a google fest to check those out. We've got to wait 2 weeks for them to finish some renovations before we actually move in, but next week when I go to sign the contract I'll take better pix of the rocks.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Whoa what a deal! Sweet tank.

Too many options to list for a tank that size. If youre looking for a challenge, something to keep you engaged, try a CA cichlid community. If you did want smaller fish in a community, i would go with a big southeast asia setup with a bunch of rainbows, spanner barbs, clown loaches, etc.
Thx bro -- bear in mind here in Thailand I could get a similar size tank custom made new for about $600, tons cheaper than US, but yeah still a good deal and no delivery involved :) SEA setup is something to consider.

I've never had this big of a tank -- just for very general reference about how many rainbows you reckon one could put in a 375g (comfortably and without coming close to overstocking)?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thanks for the input DV7, gonna go on a google fest to check those out. We've got to wait 2 weeks for them to finish some renovations before we actually move in, but next week when I go to sign the contract I'll take better pix of the rocks.
Your very welcome, keep us tuned

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thx bro -- bear in mind here in Thailand I could get a similar size tank custom made new for about $600, tons cheaper than US, but yeah still a good deal and no delivery involved :) SEA setup is something to consider.

I've never had this big of a tank -- just for very general reference about how many rainbows you reckon one could put in a 375g (comfortably and without coming close to overstocking)?
Could prob do 60 easy, and still have room for plenty other fish

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Could prob do 60 easy, and still have room for plenty other fish
Good thing I live in a place where fish are also cheap (though to be honest we actually have less overall choice/variety at most LFS here -- despite Thailand being aquarium fish capital of the world, a majority of the fish go overseas (and most outfits won't sell to individuals domestically).

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
Great tank! You could do a SA tank with large sa cichlids like severing and uaru, with a large school of tetras, Cory cats and even though these aren’t sa a large school of clown loaches. If I had that tank though I would do a CA or predator tank but it depends on what you like

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store