Hee hee, just got a 375 gallon tank for $200 -- what should I put in it?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
First, admin I wish I could edit the title of this post and take out the "Hee Hee..." it's kinda get annoying (but it's how I felt at the time:)

Anyway wow, Thx for all the great feedback everyone, some awesome suggestions -- I knew posting here would get some super suggestions.

And P PYRU fair enough, this is MFK, though we can also see the site has evolved more and more over the years to expand somewhat beyond only monster fish (esp. if a monster tank is in the picture). Another factor is that besides Flowerhorns, Koi, Aro and Knifefish, it's actually pretty hard to find bigger species like Dovi, Jags, Festae, etc. here in Thailand, most Thais just aren't into them and prefer easier to keep/less effort fish.

But PYRU's and some others' posts did get me thinking about something like a beautiful Super Red Arowana with about 400 neon tetras (and some bottom feeders like loaches or corydoras -- I'm after something on the dramatic side, which is why I'm thinking of a massive amount of colorful schooling fish.

Like many here I love big predator cichlids but at this particular point in my life just don't want to deal with aggression issues (towards each other or me -- I have a hyper aggressive/territorial Kamfa that tries to kill me every time I (or anything else) goes into his tank. I love it, gives him awesome character, but it's a royal PIA come cleaning time or moving stuff. As such I'm looking for a more peaceful tank (where I don't have to worry about some sly mofo drawing blood).

Drakaris FO unlesss you got some food 3 medium.jpg

A related note in my reckoning: despite the pretty massive size of this new tank, my Kamfa is still going to be King of this fish house and at this point I want to keep it that way -- he's a one in a million find (at my little LFS) and deserves center stage. I know some here aren't into hybrids but he's as beautiful as any arowana (or freshwater fish) on the planet and has 5 times the character.

Doting dad stuff aside, that's pretty much why I'm (currently:) leaning toward smaller species (but I'm warming toward the idea of mixing a big school of smaller fish with something bigger, not overly aggressive).

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
mbu puffer would be fine a community type setting of smaller fish.
Mbu puffer is a great suggestion (as others have mentioned), going to learn more about their care/needs (though not sure I can find locally or in BKK, going to check on that too).

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
First, admin I wish I could edit the title of this post and take out the "Hee Hee..." it's kinda get annoying (but it's how I felt at the time:)

Anyway wow, Thx for all the great feedback everyone, some awesome suggestions -- I knew posting here would get some super suggestions.

And P PYRU fair enough, this is MFK, though we can also see the site has evolved more and more over the years to expand somewhat beyond only monster fish (esp. if a monster tank is in the picture). Another factor is that besides Flowerhorns, Koi, Aro and Knifefish, it's actually pretty hard to find bigger species like Dovi, Jags, Festae, etc. here in Thailand, most Thais just aren't into them and prefer easier to keep/less effort fish.

But PYRU's and some others' posts did get me thinking about something like a beautiful Super Red Arowana with about 400 neon tetras (and some bottom feeders like loaches or corydoras -- I'm after something on the dramatic side, which is why I'm thinking of a massive amount of colorful schooling fish.

Like many here I love big predator cichlids but at this particular point in my life just don't want to deal with aggression issues (towards each other or me -- I have a hyper aggressive/territorial Kamfa that tries to kill me every time I (or anything else) goes into his tank. I love it, gives him awesome character, but it's a royal PIA come cleaning time or moving stuff. As such I'm looking for a more peaceful tank (where I don't have to worry about some sly mofo drawing blood).

View attachment 1330124

A related note in my reckoning: despite the pretty massive size of this new tank, my Kamfa is still going to be King of this fish house and at this point I want to keep it that way -- he's a one in a million find (at my little LFS) and deserves center stage. I know some here aren't into hybrids but he's as beautiful as any arowana (or freshwater fish) on the planet and has 5 times the character.

Doting dad stuff aside, that's pretty much why I'm (currently:) leaning toward smaller species (but I'm warming toward the idea of mixing a big school of smaller fish with something bigger, not overly aggressive).
That flowerhorn is probably the prettiest I've seen! (I have a entire thread devoted to people showing off their flowerhorns "the hybrid and flowerhorn show off thread" or something like that, in the hybrid cichlid section).

So how about:
1 African aro (peaceful centerpiece fish),
Lots of rainbow fish,1 green terror,tons of endlers guppies and big swordtails,elephant nose,3 bala sharks, a couple plecos, giant danios,roseline sharks,clownloach, demon eartheaters,firemouth,lone African butterflyfish,couple kissing gouramis,tons of swordplants and some valisneria gigantea, Redfin tiger loach, rams, whiteskirt tetras

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Wow bro you jumped quick let’s make something bad ass happen fill it up with Aros and SH make us Americans jealous
Lol, it's not like I have MTS, this tank just about dropped into my lap :)

And yep, currently Aros are probably top contenders (and without messing around with any schooling fish as I was thinking -- decided I don't want to deal with frequent little fishy deaths, quarantining new fish all the time, risking Aro health, etc., so will probably just keep it simple with the best Asian Aro or two my money can buy, with maybe some nice bottom dwellers/tank cleaners.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store