Hee hee, just got a 375 gallon tank for $200 -- what should I put in it?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
That flowerhorn is probably the prettiest I've seen! (I have a entire thread devoted to people showing off their flowerhorns "the hybrid and flowerhorn show off thread" or something like that, in the hybrid cichlid section).
Thx -- he's kinda becoming a mini YouTube star now -- SOB's videos get tons more views and likes than videos of me risking my life free solo rock climbing :(:mad: If you go back in the Flowerhorn/Hybrid forum you'll see some of Drakaris' vids.

That's also a nice list you've recommend, Thx, but I've pretty much decided (due primarily to time restraints), I'm going to keep it simple (yet badass as @Dlok suggests).

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thx -- he's kinda becoming a mini YouTube star now -- SOB's videos get tons more views and likes than videos of me risking my life free solo rock climbing :(:mad: If you go back in the Flowerhorn/Hybrid forum you'll see some of Drakaris' vids.

That's also a nice list you've recommend, Thx, but I've pretty much decided (due primarily to time restraints), I'm going to keep it simple (yet badass as @Dlok suggests).
You need to go more extreme in your vids:
Tandem rock bounding while blindfolded and everything's on fire!

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Probably good to keep it safe, one screwup and it might take months or years till someone stumbles across your body
Been doing it for over 30 years, but yeah wise advice to be sure, starting to wind down that aspect of my life -- as much as anything due to fish keeping taking over my life lol, no time. (though for reference I'm always GPS live-linked to a buddy when I do my little adventures).

But getting back to this tank :) at 375 gallons can you (or anyone) suggest what would be a proper-sized UV sterilizer?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Well a somewhat disappointing turn of events with this little aqua drama -- that will surely have some of you saying "Lol, I though that sounded too good to be true." -- and justifiably so...

Today I got a call from the lady (daughter of the owner) who showed me the house and made the deal for the tank...

She was very sad to inform me that she made a mistake: her father told her that actually her uncle bought that tank some time ago, for what would be about $4,000.

He said the stand is made from teakwood -- which was unbeknownst to me or his daughter, and which in fact would make it much more valuable than the tank itself (though I personally don't know how realistic that $4,000 figure actually is, I've never bought teak wood).

He offered to sell it to me for about $2,000, which kind as that may be, is still rather a big jump from $200 lol.

I politely declined this offer, saying I could buy the same size tank for about $600 or $700 brand new (granted with metal stand), and didn't really need a $1,300 teak wood stand.

So the implications are that I can still do whatever the heck I want with the tank while I'm renting there (probably 3-5 years), but given that it's not really 'mine', it doesn't make sense for me to spend big bucks upgrading it equipment, accessory and fish-wise -- instead I'll just make it simple but clean and presentable. Not sure yet but maybe just some knife fish or a school of Silver Sharks, nothing too high maintenance and nothing that I wouldn't be overly disappointed if I had to leave behind down the road.

BUT seeing that tank -- plus the influence of my fellow MFKer's :) with all your great input -- has for better or worse now caused me to come down with a definite case of 'BigTankitis'....my 88 gallon Flowerhorn tank used to look huge; now it looks like a little kiddy tank....

So I ran out to my LFS today to give them figures to check the cost for making me a new tank (220 gallon or 300 gallon). Will report the prices after I hopefully get them tomorrow.

If I were to get either of these tanks new, I could use the 375 as a quarantine tank lol.

But while at my LFS, the owner's (I think Super Red) Arowana further induced the fever many of you have felt yourselves...

Nice Super Red Aro at Nabong LFS medium.jpg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store