hejuta gar experience needed?

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Hey guys i have 1 hejuta gar for already some time now. he is great but i was wondering since they are 'schooling' fish or prefer to be together in the wild if i should get some more.
The thing is do that the recommended of 4 is something im not gone fit in my tank.
I was wondering if i get another one, if that would lead to them killing each other or if they will be friends? got no experience with adult hejutas being housed together. thx in advance

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys i have 1 hejuta gar for already some time now. he is great but i was wondering since they are 'schooling' fish or prefer to be together in the wild if i should get some more.
The thing is do that the recommended of 4 is something im not gone fit in my tank.
I was wondering if i get another one, if that would lead to them killing each other or if they will be friends? got no experience with adult hejutas being housed together. thx in advance
I personally don't have any experience with the hujeta Gar.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/hujeta-gar-question.735839/

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
i was thinking about getting 1 more so its 2 in total.
I've read threads here with members keeping them solo. Hopefully kno4te kno4te or mrrobxc mrrobxc will chime in with their thoughts.

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Should be able to add w/o any worry of death. Maybe some squabbles but should get along. They do well with others.

• Love
Reactions: neko1 and tlindsey

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I've read threads here with members keeping them solo. Hopefully kno4te kno4te or mrrobxc mrrobxc will chime in with their thoughts.
They do fine in groups. I’d say get at least three of you want more than 1. They are peaceful and will coexist with anything that it cannot eat or Vice verse. Also, avoid aggressive tankmates like most CA Cichlids.

Reactions: neko1 and tlindsey

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
They can be kept alone, in pairs or in shoals with no issues. I currently have 4 adults (2 males, 2 females) and they don't fight at all. In fact, in all the years I've kept C. hujeta, I have never seen aggression from any of them.

I had one that was kept solo for 2 years before it somehow hurt itself in the middle of the night and passed away. It was not skittish at all and ate like a pig.

Reactions: neko1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store