Hello, i need help with ID’ng LFS Piraibas

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It depends on your purpose and ability to house. If you want your piraiba to grow quicker, get a Suriname and be prepared to house it in a 10,000+ gal or pond in 4-5 years. If you need more time to build / buy a large enough tank or pond for it, get a Peru.

Reactions: Ayban and kno4te

Ayban

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2020
It depends on your purpose and ability to house. If you want your piraiba to grow quicker, get a Suriname and be prepared to house it in a 10,000+ gal or pond in 4-5 years. If you need more time to build / buy a large enough tank or pond for it, get a Peru.
I see thanks

10,000 gallons i dammm out my league sadly the monthly expense to maintain the tank itself is kinda ..Overwhelming
So on my pics is there suriname cause i better dodge that one heh.
Also considered a Dorado Cat but after seeing your all of your threads its kinda scary too..
Is it just me or all dorado cats seem to swim agaisnt the corner of a tank so much.even with space ive noticed on the videos ,its either they do that or they sit .

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
With a Peru piraiba, you might be okay with a 1000 gal enclosure for 5 years, if my experience were of any guidance... Still I'd say this is a minimum, and a minimum doesn't mean nice, it means barely adequate. They love swimming, which makes for a much larger minimum tank size.

I am keeping a Peru in a 4500 gal at 2.5' and another Peru at the same 2.5' in a 240 gal temporarily and out of necessity, because it was getting bullied badly in the 4500 gal. The one in 240 gal feeds and doing ok but I can tell it is miserable and has as if bouts of anger as if trying to get out, swimming wildly and bumping into walls. The tantrums don't last long but are heartbreaking to see.

I'm no expert on Suriname versus Peru babies. GiantFishKeeper101 GiantFishKeeper101 is one expert. Rpul Rpul dazzapolypterusweeksii dazzapolypterusweeksii I'd say first and third pics are of Suriname, second pic is of Peru.

Dorado catfish are extremely hard and demanding to house and raise. They do best alone or with VERY carefully chosen tank mates. Yes, at some point in time they start needing 10x more space to swim around versus even a piraiba, or perhaps a round or oval enclosure might solve this problem also. So they swim stubbornly against a wall for weeks or months on end. In my experience anyway. Then eventually stop. It probably has to do with their seasonal migration mode.

They don't only swim against a wall or sit. Ours swims laps leisurely too or swims against the current treadmill-style.

Ayban

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2020
Your one of my inspiration really and ive been following you and watched almost all your videos and it baffles me how could one take care of all those fish / tanks that are sooo big! .

5 years is a good amount of time for me

Honestly you are saving alot of people from wasting their money on buying a ish thats almost impossible/very hard to keep as youve experienced and everyone should be thankful.

i saw one big dorado on youtube but it was on chinese so its hard to find.but it still swims agaisnt the wall even on a big enclosure must be their instinct to venture xD

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate it if I could be of little help. I aim to learn from everyone I come across.

Please, don't type within quotation marks of someone else's post or your reply comes out and is lost inside a quote. I have fixed yours above.

That's a new a valuable piece of info for me on that Chinese adult dorado still swimming and rubbing against a wall in a large enclosure. Thank you for this. That behavior could be brought about by the fact that dorado appear to currently hold a record for the longest f/w migration in the world.

• The dorado catfish uses the massive Amazon River as its roadway, beginning its journey at the river’s headwaters.
  • It spawns in the far western Amazon, then drifts thousands of miles towards the estuary in the opposite direction.
  • After two to three years in the estuary, the catfish makes its way back towards the headwaters through the Amazon floodplain.
An Amazonian catfish — the dorado catfish — makes the world’s longest known freshwater migration, a new study has confirmed.

Clocking more than 7,200 miles (~11,600 kilometers), the dorado catfish (Brachyplatystoma rousseauxii) travels nearly the entire width of the South America continent during its life cycle, breaking its own previous record, researchers report in the study published in Scientific Reports.

Reactions: Ayban and jjohnwm

Ayban

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2020
Sorry idk what im doing . Im new here

Yes all of dorado videos i saw they harbor the same trait its like they always yearn for more space i hope i csn find the vid again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store