Help a fish newbie with Buffalo Heads?

DeadStang

Feeder Fish
Dec 1, 2022
I have done lots of internet searching and get conflicting answers from my local fish shop. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank and want to stock it with Buffalo heads. The fish store sold me 3 -- a male and 2 females, but I am understanding that I need an equal number of males and females (?). It appears that I can have 6 (maybe 8?) total in my tank. This tank is pretty much devoted to the Buffaloes as they are all over the floor and also hang in the center and even occasionally go to the surface. If anyone has suggestions, I would be very grateful.

If it's relevant, my tank parameters are 76-78 degrees, zero ammonia, zero nitrites, a pH of 8.4-ish, and 40ppm nitrates (this is the nitrate level from my well -- no we don't drink it). I do not have the tank planted as I understand they will just tear up the plants, but I am going to wire a few plants to fixtures in the tank and I have an opening along the back/top with about 2' x 2-3" stuffed with cuttings from my houseplants rooting. I have a wavemaker set on continuous flow and 2 bubblers. They seem very happy -- more so since I've added the continuous water flow.

Thanks.

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
You don't need a group for them to work. A pair or one male with multiple females is also ok because they don't form permanent pairs. After breeding they might switch their partners. Sometimes the male just goes to the next female ready to spawn.
Just provide enough hiding spaces and the chances are good that your small group grows by itself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store