HELP ASAP

bdenniston

Feeder Fish
Jul 3, 2006
King City, Ontario
HELP

Tonight I am going to pick up a reticulata sting rays. These are my first rays, 5-6 inches. My pH is 8.5, and BigAls told me that the area is so alkaline, that it can not be treated with chemicals. These are Wild caughts I am getting, what pH do they come out of in Puru? Is my pH to high, or will they be able to adapt ,

Please Help me asap, I don't want to buy these, and then they die on me :(

kody1192

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Illinois
ok first off how big is your tank? how many rays are you getting?filtration?subrate? what other fish will be in the tank with the ray(s)? how long has the tank been set up? you will need to accumilate them the drip method works really good. good luck with your rays:thumbsup:

shekes

Jessica Rabbit
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
Toon Town
Sorry, I only keep one ray and it is of an uknown species. Since it's tank broke I found out that this fish can live in any size of a tank in any kind of water wiht any pH. It is the most resilient fish I have. I could keep it in the sink and feed it table rests.

kody1192

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Illinois
your tank isnt big enough for rays... it will be for a little bit at that size but with rectic you will need a wide tank around 3 feet for there long tails(2 1/2 would be fine) and atleast 5 feet long. but you got some time. and from what ive read tahitan moon sand isnt good for rays... your filtration should be enough if you are only getting 1 ray.

kody1192

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Illinois
your ph will be fine as long as it stays consistant and you accumilate properly. i hope you will beable to upgrade in the future but your tanks fine for now. have fun with your rays

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Gongrats on getting your first rays.

Get rid of the sand immediatly, the sand has a sharp grain, and will irritate and can cut up the belly of the ray.

They should be fine in that size tank, but will need minimum of a 180gl tank for life.

Rays can take a vast range of water conditions, what they cant take is big shifts in anything. Like if your Ph drops rapidly or somthing you ray could be really affected by that, or like a huge temp shift could do damage as well.

Where I live, we have very hard water, and has a high Ph and they do really good. They just can take fluctuations in things very well.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Oh, you will also want to drip acclimate the ray for at least 2 hours since they are smaller and more sensitive than larger rays.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store