Help common pleco

CrazyKoiCracker

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2018
Taiwan hasn’t a great suggestion. Buy a large tote from Walmart, wash it out very well two or three times, and then set it up like an aquarium. Filter, air stone, piece of drift wood or something. And give him a less stressful home until you find him a forever one. Just be sure to either have cycled (old “seasoned”) filter media, or do something like 10%+ daily water changes. (Or you know, 50% a week) until you’re sure the tub is stable. Also keep in mind that they don’t live off algae. He will need food too. Best bet is probably move everything in the aquarium...filter, fish, gravel, decorations, Heater...whatever you have, to a large tote until you can re-home him. Punch a few holes in the top and keep it on to avoid him jumping again.
Tote. Filter. Holes. Home.
Also where are you located approximately? If it’s south east United States I can maybe help.

CrazyKoiCracker

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2018
Wow autocorrect. “Taksan” has the right idea. Big tub. Turn it into a temp aquarium. Lol.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
just give it to any mom and pop store commons are a dime a dozen and like was said will reach 2 ft. Now if you have an L24 or L25 pleco any size I will pick it up and give you $200 at any size LOL

Sventuri

Feeder Fish
Oct 24, 2018
If it gets too big you could potentially buy an outdoor pond for like $60 or so and let him live there because I kno how expensive larger tanks can be. But you need to make sure the pond is constantly cleaned and the temperature is just right.. don’t forget about him either

CrazyKoiCracker

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2018
Yeah, just make sure the pond temp doesn’t drop below 75ish I believe. They can’t survive outdoors in most areas of the world.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; If you can get a fish shop to take it that may be the best you can hope for. They will not pay you for it if a common pleco, at least that's my experience.
Post it on fish forums, craigs list and such.
Set up a tub if you wish to deal with that.
The only thing you absolutely should not do is release the fish into the wild. I get that it is hard to put a pet down but sometimes such is the only choice.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store