Help diagnosing illness

psychopithecus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Maryland
Hello everyone,
I am a newbie, probably below the caliber of the average MFK poster! Anyway, maybe you can help me figure out what is wrong with my completely unvaluable, tiny, common, yet treasured white cloud fish.
I have several of these guys, living with other fish of the same size (tetras, etc) in a heavily planted 20-gallon tank. Maybe 15 fish total, also some invertebrates. It is a very underpopulated clean tank, water smells great, passes all chemical yests I have used (ammonia, nitrates/ites, PH etc). The water is clear, lightly salted and my fish have been living happily for years. Only one fish is ill.
This ill white cloud has some sort of swim bladder problem, is usually stuck at the top or bottom and looks dead, but has been in this condition for 10 weeks or so! I have been able to isolate it and watch it eating live brine shrimp larvae. I have also tried feeding it some mashed pea, but i can't tell if it ate that. The fish is emaciated and seems to have shrunk over a long period.
I tried erythromycin treatment, which didn't really help. I've examined this animal very carefully, and it doesn't have any visible sores, lesions or parasites (see attached images). Any ideas?

sick whitecloud 1.jpg

sick whitecloud 2.jpg

psychopithecus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Maryland
Thanks for the reply - I doubt it since the other animals purchased at the same time (2 years ago) are thriving. I've seen figures of 5-7 years for one of these guys.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Those little black speckles don't look good.. is that Velvet? I am no disease pro..

Maybe this should be moved to the health and illness section, might get more answers..

aquariumguy2300

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2007
Massachusetts
I definitly see some fin rot. It might be bloat, or the fish could be really constipated.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I hate to say it but I would destroy the fish, it lookis like wasting disease (fish TB)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store