Help finding a true black sand

Rift485

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2010
Boston
I'm driving myself crazy trying to find a replacement for Caribsea's Tahitian Moon Sand. That stuff was a true black and was the perfect grain size (pretty fine). It also had a little shimmer that popped in a good way.

I tried the Flourite black but it was more a flat gray color. Not super attractive IMO. The Black Diamond black blasting sand has those gold grains mixed in that give it a black/brownish color. I picked up some Imaginarium black sand from Petco which is decent but not quite a true black, plus the grains are a bit larger.

What sand is the most black, and closest to a true sand grain size?

Rift485

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2010
Boston
Answering my own question- Aqua Naturals Diamond Black is the one! Perfect grain size, great black color.

Photos show a comparison between Diamond on the left and Imagitarium on the right. Both available at Petco. Imagitarium is more a small gravel than sand.

FYI I had a little light sand left in the tank which is why there are some flecks in the main tank pic. The sand is a consistent black throughout.

IMG-5107.jpeg

IMG-5221.jpeg

SoDakSam

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2018
Just put it in a new setup. Rinsed it thoroughly. My first time with a sandy, black substrate. I’m blown away. It looks great, and cheap!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store