help finding the reason my fish died

bitme4u

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2007
Rocklin, Ca
So i bought a 5" elephant nose and the tank had ick i knew it did when i bought it but, I put the fish in its own tank and added the meds and later that night he was starting to turn white and it looked like his skin was stsrting to fall off and when i woke up he was of course dead and me snail had eaten off his fin and started in on his sideso can some one tell me why he died? i took him back to the pet store and they had a bunch of fish dead in the tank they blamed it on the power going out for like 4 hours! i think they were lieing what do you think?

Ianab

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
New Zealand
According to this, they are very sensitive to meds. My guess is the tank had ich, the place treated it with something too harsh, and now the elephant noses are all dying. Poor things.
Probably true.

Also fish getting Ich in the first place is usually a sign that they have been stressed out by other factors already. Poor water quality, temp and water changes, being moved (couriered) etc. Probably things beyond the shops control if they happened before they get to the shop. Then they get ich and a heavy dose of Meds is the last straw. Heck a long power cut could actually have been the thing that caused the stress/ich outbreak originally?

The shop shouldn't have been selling them if they knew they were sick, and I sure wouldn't have bought them. If they were still alive after a couple of weeks treatment by the shop - THEN they might be safe to buy. The better LFS will simple bung a 'Not ready for Sale' sign on suspect fish like that and medicate them for a while untill they are safe to sell.

Cheers

Ian

Alistriwen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
The store shouldn't have even been selling the fish if they were sick. All the lfs I go to will put tanks as not for sale if there is any sort of infection. That said, it wasn't wise to buy fish you knew were sick. Hard to blame it on the fish store if you knew what you were getting into.

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Elephantnose are super sensitive to medications, especially common ich cures.

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
Copper is especially bad for them. It wasn't the Ich in your LFS's tank that killed the fish. It happened too quickly for that. The only way a fish would go from lghtly infested with Ich to sloughing off skin dead in so short of a time is a reaction to the meds....

Most Ich meds have the same ingrediants so this is probubly what happened to the ones at the LFS.

Raising the temperiture in the Q tank and using salt is a FAR safer treatment for Ich IMO.

tunerX

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Since the fish is dead it is best to get a scraping. Look at it under a microscope then go to the library at your local college to find out what it is. It is easy to look at it under the microscope but you usually have to pay to get nice photos of common fish parasites, pathogens, and bacteria.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
i'd say the meds too.
theyre real dam sensetive to meds.
whenever i buy fish that have ich,
i only use salt.
and since the temp in tanks is always 30+ degrees celcius.
ive never lost any fish to ich.

aquariumguy2300

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2007
Massachusetts
I read the back of the quick cure bottle and besides from having the warning that it causes cancer, it says Warning: do not use on elephant noses or baby whales.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store