Jan 5, 2022
St.Cloud MN
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
31-40%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
So in my 180g tank I have 2 red spot Severums 2 blood parrot cichlids and 8 polar blue cichlids. I’ve noticed lately that both the red spot Severums and blood parrots have slightly frayed fins that almost look like they have worn away a bit. But after a short period of time they repair and look normal and then the same thing happens again. I’m wondering what might be going on? I have noticed that 2 of the polar blues have laid eggs and are very protective of them so they do seem to be chasing and nipping the other fish a bit. Could the fins wearing away be from the nipping?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
In a tank full of cichlids, especially breeding ones, you’re going to see nips in the fins. What you are seeing is bite marks from the convicts, which naturally heals, only to get bit again.
It isn’t necessarily dangerous, but is a sign that not everyone is getting along in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store