Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Help! I can't stop this!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Diseases and Health Issues' started by jandb, Apr 24, 2018.

1. jandb

jandb MFK Members

Saturday at 9:35 AM
      I'll preface this with I know there are tons of threads on ich. I'm just really beat up by it. I've been in the hobby since I was 5 (over 30 years), have have almost 2000 gallons of water in my house and can't beat this. I'm really frustrated by it. I had a qt tank get ich a couple months back (or at least I thought). Started as white spots, then distressed breathing, then a slimy, white coating and fins just rotting off. I followed ich treatment to what I thought a T. Increased temps to the mid 80s, salted the water, vacc'd the bottom then finally tried Quick Cure after I started loosing everything. I lost all my liberifer grow outs. I went over a month and thought I was fine. I didn't introduce anything new to my upstairs display tank nor use any net, tweezer, etc from the former ich tank. I noticed a couple white spots and here we are all over again. It's been just over a week, temp, salt, now quick cure and I lost my red back manacapuru angels and countless loaches and corys. I'm just sick over it and feel helpless. Is this ich? It starts as white spot then the angels just completely lost their fins. This happened in just a few days even while treating. Can anyone shed any light on this?

2. Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7 The Necromancer

Jason m
      14 minutes ago
      May actually be fungal, try treating with antifungals.

3. jandb

jandb MFK Members

274994CB-A6FE-4C4C-BF49-4B130B0A22C6.jpeg Here’s one of the angels. This is after the white spot. His fins are down to stubs. Tough to see.

4. squint

squint MFK Members

Yesterday at 12:36 PM
      The fins might be dying due to hypoxia due to ich?

I suggest a good UV system.

Deadliestviper7 likes this.
    5. jandb

jandb MFK Members

Worth a shot.

6. AnthonyFish20

AnthonyFish20 MFK Members

Anthony
      Sunday at 2:49 PM
      did u try adding lots of salt and raise the temp tht killed mine in 2 days just keep adding a handfull of salt until it goes away and then do a big water change and raise the temp 82-84 also shutting off the light can help

7. pops

pops MFK Members

Greg
      Yesterday at 9:40 PM
      personally i do not see any ICK, it would be all over the fish like small grains of rice. as you are unsure I would treat with polyguard.
      http://www.seachem.com/polyguard.php

this is a broad spectrum so is important to follow dosing instructions and monitor your tank perams for ammonia,nitrite, nitrate as it may put your tank in a mini cycle.

8. Stephen St.Clair

Stephen St.Clair MFK Members

Adam 201
      Today at 6:37 AM
      My guess is Columnaris, probably strain AJS#3 or strain
      AJS#4.
      The white spots or patches are likely dead flesh areas due to the bacteria. Although strains #3 & #4 are said to be treatable and are far less virulent than strains #1 & #2, it's been my experience that upon observing the first symptom, "opaque patches" best to remove and euthanize the sick fish. Try to save the remaining fish with frequent WC's. Note: Ive read that strains #3 & #4 aren't usually tank killers, unless the affected fish are allowed to stay in the display tank, where the Columnaris will intensify.
      I hope things level out soon. Good luck.

9. jandb

jandb MFK Members

Yep. That was what I did first.

10. jandb

jandb MFK Members

Thanks for the insight. I’ll have to try and get some google pics. It does start as tons of small white spots like ich. After several days it transitions into this. Then it leaves as quickly as it comes. This is the 4th tank (3 qts) this has happened to. With about half the fish it looks like ich then goes away. Silver dollars, hatchets, rainbows are barely affected but severums, angels, loaches develop this second stage and almost certainly die. Does that change your thought?