Help ID an ATF for Darryl

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I can only tell GATF-type species and VATF-type species. I am no good with finer or other ID. But even for my purposes, this photo is not good enough.

Reactions: Darryl Taylor

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
I can only tell GATF-type species and VATF-type species. I am no good with finer or other ID. But even for my purposes, this photo is not good enough.
Yea I know someone with it and I’m thinking abt buy him. Trying to get better pictures. I’m unsure if I’m a get him tho because he 6” and mines 3”. Don’t know if they can go in the same tank

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
With any ATF combos it is always a gamble and peer experience varies wildly. The larger the tank, the better the chances of success but overall, the chances may not be great.

I do have different size ATF together, from 6" to 12"in a 240 gal, about a dozen of them, GATF and VATF mix, and they are usually ok but not rarely there are some fallouts. If kept well fed, it is about territory, not predation.

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
With any ATF combos it is always a gamble and peer experience varies wildly. The larger the tank, the better the chances of success but overall, the chances may not be great.

I do have different size ATF together, from 6" to 12"in a 240 gal, about a dozen of them, GATF and VATF mix, and they are usually ok but not rarely there are some fallouts. If kept well fed, it is about territory, not predation.
Thanks, he still on live so I’ll have to train him too. I put 12 barbs in the tank yesterday, they are in a 55 gallon for now. I’m trying to grow them out a little before I move to 150

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
So what a good number to have then? Just started keeping these fish. Been watching for a little while but never had them until a month ago
Most people will tell you five for any species. I will tell you stick with one because once atf hit 12" they generally start killing each other off. They're mainly solitary once mature.

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
Most people will tell you five for any species. I will tell you stick with one because once atf hit 12" they generally start killing each other off. They're mainly solitary once mature.
Make since from what I’ve seen this fish can be a challenge to get that size and hard to get some time. I think I’ll got with multiple to see what ones survives. Then if I start running out of room pick which ones I’m going to keep or sell. Behaviour seems unpredictable as well. This way I’ll have better chance of finding a nice fish for my show tank. I’ve only seen them one here Michigan. So the odds of me getting them in my lfs is small. Thanks for all your assistance

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I agree with Moe. One. Or if a group, it should be a huge tank; and better a pond, or a round tank. If you don't mind losing many ATF, you could try your way; it's kind of cruel going into it being advised they would kill each other but I've done the same thing (more or less) and learned painful and expensive first hand experience.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store