Help Id small cichlids

Jacob92677

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2019
South Orange County CA ?? USA ??
Hey guys so I bought these two small fish as fry from a lfs for $3 each I vaguely remember the name I wanna say something Vieja x carpintis
??
Any idea or does that sound like something?
anyone’s seen
They have some blue pearling thru out the body and it’s shape looks very vieja to me
I known it might be hard to
Tell since still small
So any input Is appreciated

7754B885-C755-4731-963C-A866B5DA5A0F.jpeg

6C9DB583-67BF-41E5-848B-AE3E11AEA767.jpeg

1E968CE1-B0E3-4687-9B7C-37F261A58E9A.jpeg

7FF2D1A1-C8BD-4A76-B11D-AE7F9E60BC7E.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The reality is.....Vieja X carpintus, means its a hybrid.
And in any hybrid spawn, a certain % will look like the mother, another % the father, and some in-between.
But none are possible to identify, because none are a real species (they are hybrids), so you, as any hybrid breeder could, or LFS selling hybrids can call them anything they want, Picachoo, Big Kok, steel magnolia, whatever, and.....
Credit to your LFS, because they labled them/sold them as a hybrid (this X that), and didn't try to pass them off as a real species.

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
Credit to your LFS, because they labled them/sold them as a hybrid (this X that), and didn't try to pass them off as a real species.
Nailed it! Too many cases people buying Texas labeled Texas then they end up fading is one big example of this.

Jacob92677

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2019
The reality is.....Vieja X carpintus, means its a hybrid.
And in any hybrid spawn, a certain % will look like the mother, another % the father, and some in-between.
But none are possible to identify, because none are a real species (they are hybrids), so you, as any hybrid breeder could, or LFS selling hybrids can call them anything they want, Picachoo, Big Kok, steel magnolia, whatever, and.....
Thank you for the help
I thought they could
Come out interesting looking so I grabbed 2 they been gettin big and love to eat
The lfs is a pretty cool little shop the owner is heavily into breeding African cichlids

Jacob92677

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2019
Why bother commenting like this to put down someone's fish?
Some people are rude or simply miss the social queues most would understand.
Either way I feel bad for the individual to make a comment like that on a public forum can only paints one of two scenarios that I just described above

Continuing on the fish shows lots of potential in person the acrylic and poor lighting do not help the photos (tanks is 4 x2 and my light is 12 inches long ) in person they show blue pearls thru out the body with reds that are coming around the tail with neat pattern body shape looks distorted in these pictures but the body looks round like a typical vieja this pic makes them look like firemouth cichlids It’s just too hard to get a good shot in good light
I will update in time as they grow and we can see how they turn out they are growing fast

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store