Help making a sump like thing

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
As I said Im trying to make sump like thing and what I mean by "thing" is its not really a sump and I'm not using it as a source of filtration I just need it because I'm planning on buy a hob protein skimmer but I don't want it to be on my tank so I was thinking I have a lot of 5 gallon buckets lying around and I want to try and make that a sump so I can put my heater, protein skimmer and maybe even put the intake and output to my canister filter in it. How exactly would I do this? Thanks

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

NyJets

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
ny
It depends on so many things. How big is your tank? Going through all that and not making a sumps sounds stupid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
It depends on so many things. How big is your tank? Going through all that and not making a sumps sounds stupid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
It's a 20 gallon, I'm not looking for anything really nice I just need something that works.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

azjc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2012
Gold Canyon, AZ
You could use a rubbermaid tub from HD or a fish tank from Petco(they have their $1 a gallon sale going on right now). I have used both before with baffles and without

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
You could use a rubbermaid tub from HD or a fish tank from Petco(they have their $1 a gallon sale going on right now). I have used both before with baffles and without

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thanks, but the nearest petco from me is a few hours away. I'd be spending more in gas then If I were to just go to petsmart.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
You want to do this with a canister filter? You'll need an overflow system to get the water from the tank to the bucket. But if you want to use the canister filter as the 'return pump', the 5g bucket will have to be higher than the canister filter, but lower than the tank. It would have to be somewhere in the middle. It would look like this:

TANK
OVERFLOW
5G BUCKET
CANISTER FILTER
BACK TO TANK

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store