Help me covert my Northern Snakehead from live to pellets

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuongly267

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
Been feeding my Northern feeders for the last 8 months. He will not eat anything dead. It must be moving. Just fed him 3 worms and he ate it. Want to fully convert him to pellets. Any ideas. I starved him a few weeks before. He’s very stubborn.

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
Have you tryed to feed something, moving it with a pair of feeding pincers yet?
I would start with some living worms, fed like that, so he is linking the pincers with food.
After a few weeks, when he is used to it, I would change to dead fish, moving in front of him.
Could also be filled with pellets later.
Last step, some further weeks later, try the same just with pellets.

Reactions: MrDuckBootz

cuongly267

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
Have you tryed to feed something, moving it with a pair of feeding pincers yet?
I would start with some living worms, fed like that, so he is linking the pincers with food.
After a few weeks, when he is used to it, I would change to dead fish, moving in front of him.
Could also be filled with pellets later.
Last step, some further weeks later, try the same just with pellets.
That’s very smart. By the way I’m terrified of it. I hate opening his lid.

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
If you purchase some long tweezers, that are used to feed reptiles, and are made of stainless steel, there should be no danger, to you.
But I would unplug the heater first, if you have one.
These fish are reported to achieve lenghts of up to 5 ft in the wild, and 3 in captivity.
What are your tank dimensions?
And aren' t they ilkegal in the US?
Snakeheads are known to be pretty intelligent, so it is not hard to teach them eating this way.

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
He probably caught it in the deleware. Yes they are illegal as pets. Probably not the smartest to keep a fish that youre terrified of opening the lid. Just saying.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Snakehead are illegal to keep in the United States, I believe in most areas you have to kill any you catch. If any one in the area can confirm the actual law I would appreciate it. I would recommend humanely killing the fish, they are invasive and dangerous to the local ecosystems :(

Reactions: Zanzag

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Snakehead are illegal to keep in the United States, I believe in most areas you have to kill any you catch. If any one in the area can confirm the actual law I would appreciate it. I would recommend humanely killing the fish, they are invasive and dangerous to the local ecosystems :(
It is confirmed you have to have a gutted or decapitated SH inorder to have it legally in your possession.

Reactions: Matteus and Hendre

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
Really sad they are illegal in the US, there are some really pretty ones, like the Channa aurantimaculata.
But looks like it makes sense, because snakeheads are wide spread in America now aren't they?
Maybe they will become forbidden in the EU too, even if there is still no evidence that they harm the local fauna.
But mystery snails are illegal for some years too, because one, mostly not kept species, shreds rice plantations in Portugal.
Breaking the law can be fined very high.
Real nonsense...

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store