Help Me Stock My 29

Long Island Fish Guy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2017
Long Island, NY
I currently have a 125 that is a "New World" tank that features SA cichlids and other New World fish. I have a 10 gallon tank that is being used as a grow out/quarantine.

I just purchased a 29 gallon setup for CHEAP. I want to have some fun with this tank.

I want to have a "different" stock for this. Perhaps a New Zealand/Australia tank, or an Asian tank. I don't know much about biotopes outside of the New World, so I am excited to find out more!

What are some suggestions? I understand this isn't exactly a monster tank, but everyone on this forum is always very helpful.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I currently have a 125 that is a "New World" tank that features SA cichlids and other New World fish. I have a 10 gallon tank that is being used as a grow out/quarantine.

I just purchased a 29 gallon setup for CHEAP. I want to have some fun with this tank.

I want to have a "different" stock for this. Perhaps a New Zealand/Australia tank, or an Asian tank. I don't know much about biotopes outside of the New World, so I am excited to find out more!

What are some suggestions? I understand this isn't exactly a monster tank, but everyone on this forum is always very helpful.

I would say Asia biotope. Lots of specie of fish that remain small.

Long Island Fish Guy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2017
Long Island, NY
I'm 90% sure I'm going to do an Asian biotope. Stocking 3 Dwarf Gouramis, a Red Tail Shark, and a Goby (unsure of the specific species yet).

Any issues with that stock? Any other suggestions?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'm 90% sure I'm going to do an Asian biotope. Stocking 3 Dwarf Gouramis, a Red Tail Shark, and a Goby (unsure of the specific species yet).

Any issues with that stock? Any other suggestions?

My experience with Red Tail sharks they can be pains in the behind but other than that you should be fine.

Long Island Fish Guy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2017
Long Island, NY
Scratch the dwarf Gouramis.... They're wayyyy too small. I need one that gets tone around 4-6 inches

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
You could set it up as a high tech planted tank and keep shrimp and/or crayfish in it. With shrimp you can keep some smaller fish as well.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Red tail shark will grow to 7-10 inches, IME too big for a 29.

Scratch the dwarf Gouramis.... They're wayyyy too small. I need one that gets tone around 4-6 inches
Pearl and three spot gourami
There are many species of really cool loaches and barbs to think about... Also how 'biotope' do you want? Accurate rocks, fish and plants from one section of one river? Just accurate fish? Just fish from the same continent? Fishbase is a big help, and you ca search by river.

Long Island Fish Guy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2017
Long Island, NY
Red tail shark will grow to 7-10 inches, IME too big for a 29.

Pearl and three spot gourami
There are many species of really cool loaches and barbs to think about... Also how 'biotope' do you want? Accurate rocks, fish and plants from one section of one river? Just accurate fish? Just fish from the same continent? Fishbase is a big help, and you ca search by river.
I read that Red Tail Sharks grow to around 6 inches. I think that would be the perfect size for a 29 gallon.

In regards to the biotope, I am pretty broad. I am going to do a black background, very light colored gravel, a small piece or 2 of driftwood, and dark stone from a creek near my house. Maybe a plant or 2 too. In regards to fish, just the continent of Asia.

The only fish that's a definite right now is a centerpiece Gourami that gets to be around 6 inches. I also would like a Goby.... I also like Tiger Barbs. Not sure how they'd do with the Gourami though.

Reactions: J. H.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I read that Red Tail Sharks grow to around 6 inches. I think that would be the perfect size for a 29 gallon.
You might be right. https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/dont-have-to-be-big-to-be-a-monster.686360/ My mother had a 9" one, but everyone elses' seems to be about 5".

The only fish that's a definite right now is a centerpiece Gourami that gets to be around 6 inches. I also would like a Goby.... I also like Tiger Barbs. Not sure how they'd do with the Gourami though.
It really depends on what gourami you get. Some three spot gouramis turn into monsters, they would have no problem handling some tiger barbs. Others don't and wouldn't. There are other, easier to deal with barbs, though, cherry and spanner come to mind.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store