HELP! Moving and acclimating rays

aes1687

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2018
Indonesia - California
Only wondering as you said you have different ph level , if your kh was low or at zero like my water then heavy feedings or heavy stocking can cause your ph to swing.
Stocking is low but feedings are usually twice a day of floating pellets. however, i dont think it is a ph swing, as the water is constantly low ph. there was no sudden change in ph. I think I just did the acclimation process wrong

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I dripped for 10min with an aerator,

It isn't a new tank, already cycled and everything for the past year.

That was what I was wondering too. Only two tanks in my house have a ph of 7.2, and those are the two grow-outs, placed right beside each other, one with a piraiba and one with the stingray. All my other setups, 120 gals, 350 gals, and my pond all have low ph, about 6.2. My only guess is about stocking. If the setup has more fish ,the water will be more acidic, unlike in the growouts where I keep them alone. Just a guess though
Personally I always drip for at least one hour.

aes1687

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2018
Indonesia - California
Update:

After seeing her floating and curling up the next morning, I moved her back to his original tank. Now, about 36 hours later, she is starting to become active again and the death curl is slowly going away. And here I was thinking it was the end. Turns out the death curl does not mean inevitable death. Need to be more careful next time.

Reactions: jim barry

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Videos and topics I've seen recommend a large enough container to hold the ray with room to move around, slow dripping as mentioned above, the addition of an air stone to help oxygenate the water, and covering with a temporary lid to keep the ray in the container. Disclaimer, I have never kept rays before.

I am guessing the rotting bamboo stalk in the sump contributed to the issues in the tank you were moving the ray into. Time for some water changes in that tank.

Glad to hear she is doing better after moving to the original tank.!

aes1687

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2018
Indonesia - California
Videos and topics I've seen recommend a large enough container to hold the ray with room to move around, slow dripping as mentioned above, the addition of an air stone to help oxygenate the water, and covering with a temporary lid to keep the ray in the container. Disclaimer, I have never kept rays before.

I am guessing the rotting bamboo stalk in the sump contributed to the issues in the tank you were moving the ray into. Time for some water changes in that tank.

Glad to hear she is doing better after moving to the original tank.!
Yes, looks like I will need to look more deeply into drip system acclimation and do it properly the next time I have to move the ray. Did a 50% water change right away haha. Thank you for your comment!

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Update:

After seeing her floating and curling up the next morning, I moved her back to his original tank. Now, about 36 hours later, she is starting to become active again and the death curl is slowly going away. And here I was thinking it was the end. Turns out the death curl does not mean inevitable death. Need to be more careful next time.
Great news, sounds lie you got lucky. Rays don't normally come back from curl

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store