Help moving live rock and corals

ChrisM101

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
Paris, AR,United States
Im buying a 400 gallon setup 96x32x30 and all its inhabitants. I know zero about saltwater.

My brother has room in his saltwater tanks to take most of the rock and corals but i will have to retrieve and transport them to him. i dont want to kill them off in the process so im looking for advice , about an hour trip to get them and load them and take them to him i would imagine.

Any advice on separating the live rock and beds of live stuff out and transporting it?

Im going to be using it for freshwater ...

Last edited:

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Just put the live rock in 30 gallon totes.
Depending on the size of the coral just put the smaller pieces in tupperware and the larger in 5 gallon buckets.
Just throw away the sand.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Just put the live rock in 30 gallon totes.
Depending on the size of the coral just put the smaller pieces in tupperware and the larger in 5 gallon buckets.
Just throw away the sand.
I believe something about coral and oxygen meaning exposing them to air is not good. Make sure they're fully submerged and your good. Also the live rock is not even a big deal. Is it for a sump or in his tank? Live rock I would dump them all in a bucket for easy transport and like the kid said a tote for coral.

Enjoy the big tank and make sure you scrub the heck out of the tank.

ChrisM101

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
Paris, AR,United States
1457707385775-592523797.jpg

My question now is how do you separate the coral it looks like alot grows between multiple rocks will it pull apart or does it need surgical disection. Any thoughts. I'd try and leave it together but inevitably some of its gonna need pulled apart.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
View attachment 1170776

My question now is how do you separate the coral it looks like alot grows between multiple rocks will it pull apart or does it need surgical disection. Any thoughts. I'd try and leave it together but inevitably some of its gonna need pulled apart.
Not an expert maybe bring your brother along to get his corals. Is this in an office of some sort or hospital?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
It looks like a medical office, but im still waiting on the guy to text back the location. im praying for double doors.
They brought it in and most likely will be able to leave without a problem. Only thing is freight elevators if its an office building lol you might need permission and etc.

Whats the dimensions on this?
If they're giving you the protein skimmer and pump and everything that will add up in value to sell.

My fathers a salt water person and its 10 times easily more expensive than freshwater plus the salinity issue and so on.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
As T Thekid stated, bring plenty of rubbermaid totes and buckets with you, throw away the sand and haul everything over. Its gonna take you a good while to tear everything down so plan accordingly. I just moved a 125 reef for a friend and it took me almost 3 hrs just to box/bucket everything up, drain the tank and load my truck. It will be heavy!!!..lol... Do your best to cover the corals with enough water in the totes/buckets during your transport. I wouldnt worry much about the live rock... a few hrs of it being dry will not affect anything. Also you do not need 2 keep the corals submerged while moving them around from the tank to the totes. I worked for a coral importer and when we unpacked 60-70 box shipments the pieces would be dry for a good 30min until they made it into tanks from bags/containers. Think of tides...some corals are exposed to air in the wild and dont miss a beat. As for pulling the rocks with coral apart...no biggie either, looks like soft stuff so it should pretty much seperate as u pull the rock work out.. no harm done really, the stuff grows like weeds and will regenerate. Good luck!

Reactions: tlindsey

ChrisM101

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
Paris, AR,United States
As T Thekid stated, bring plenty of rubbermaid totes and buckets with you, throw away the sand and haul everything over. Its gonna take you a good while to tear everything down so plan accordingly. I just moved a 125 reef for a friend and it took me almost 3 hrs just to box/bucket everything up, drain the tank and load my truck. It will be heavy!!!..lol... Do your best to cover the corals with enough water in the totes/buckets during your transport. I wouldnt worry much about the live rock... a few hrs of it being dry will not affect anything. Also you do not need 2 keep the corals submerged while moving them around from the tank to the totes. I worked for a coral importer and when we unpacked 60-70 box shipments the pieces would be dry for a good 30min until they made it into tanks from bags/containers. Think of tides...some corals are exposed to air in the wild and dont miss a beat. As for pulling the rocks with coral apart...no biggie either, looks like soft stuff so it should pretty much seperate as u pull the rock work out.. no harm done really, the stuff grows like weeds and will regenerate. Good luck!
Thank you for the advice. I'll just grab up several totes and pump the tank water into, place what I can and cart them out. My brother has agreed to go. We will do the corals and rock tonight. And get 4 more people to move the tank tomorrow.

I'm glad know that it regenerates well if cut or separated.

Any thoughts on cleaning the tank for freshwater. Is coraline algae harmful to freshwater fish? Or can I toss some 12 inch plecos in there to munch on it after a good razor blading?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store