HELP! MY BICHIR SWALLOWED A PEBBLE!

hobojoe141

Feeder Fish
Mar 18, 2007
MD
am i freaking out over nothing or is my senegal gonna die:cry:?!? he is only about 3 1/4 inches and he swallowed a pebble (my substrate) that was a little smaller than his mouth.. is he going to die? I know there isnt anyhting i can do, but any experience that you share will definently help out...

he must have mistaken it for a blood worm:nilly:

ugh i can already hear Taps playing in my head..

elbeatch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2006
Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
I'm not an expert but here's something anyways. Sometimes they'll pass the stones, mine did but it was a bit larger, 3'' I can't say what will happen. I think too if you use the search on this site you'll find some forums about that, I'm pretty sure I've started a thread about it, it's relatively common, although does not always turn out well, some go as far as risking getting it for themselves.... but def. do a forum search. Good luck!

messiner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2005
americas wang
GET SAND, i had one do it and cough it back up fine. depends.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
here the possibilities
It could pass it thru the digestive system
It could just stay in the stomach forever
It could block the digestive tract (worse case scenerio)
it could hack the pebble out in a day or 2
-Anne

bichirs like many fish are suction feeders not really biters this is the best example and reason to use sand or fine crushed gravel instead of normal size gravel for the substrate

fishcatch22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2006
anchorage, alaska
it's up to fate now. all you can do now is hope that he passes it or barfs it up.

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
Get pebbles that are big enough for him not to swallow. Don't get sand or any tiny gravels, I had mine sucking around for food that some of the gravels / sand was sucked into her mouth and pouring out of her gills, still I would see her tummy slightly bigger as if she ate some of it. That really freaked me out and made me lost my hope on her.

I changed the substrate quickly to large pebbles that she couldn't swallow. She would angrily push and dig them looking for food, even at night as Polys are nocturnals. Now I have moved her into a 50gal tank as she is 11 inches in length. No more substrates, just rocks and bogwoods. She's doing great and is a beauty!:headbang2

Razman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
NoVa
good to hear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store