Help my OB peacock is holding!!

Michaelscarn23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2020
My OB female is holding. I opened her mouth and saw orange eggs. I had her in a 40 gallon growout and never saw any spawning activity. I have her in a 10 gallon with hiding spots right now. I'm not sure if the dominant male in the 40 gallon already fertilized the eggs or not. Should i leave her in the 10 gallon alone or bring the male into the 10 gallon to make sure he fertilizes them? I’m stuck on either leaving her in there alone to soon release the eggs or bring the male into the 10 gallon since the eggs might not even be fertilized yet. HELP!!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My OB female is holding. I opened her mouth and saw orange eggs. I had her in a 40 gallon growout and never saw any spawning activity. I have her in a 10 gallon with hiding spots right now. I'm not sure if the dominant male in the 40 gallon already fertilized the eggs or not. Should i leave her in the 10 gallon alone or bring the male into the 10 gallon to make sure he fertilizes them? I’m stuck on either leaving her in there alone to soon release the eggs or bring the male into the 10 gallon since the eggs might not even be fertilized yet. HELP!!
Welcome aboard!

Congrats!!!

Tbh the male has already fertilized the eggs so adding the male will cause issues. I will tag a more experienced member.
Stephen St.Clair Stephen St.Clair

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Fertilization takes place before the female picks up the eggs so I'd leave her in the 10G alone.

It is possible though that the eggs are not fertilized especially if you did not witness them spawning. Females will hold eggs without them being fertilized. Just watch her to see if her mouth and throat area get larger over the next couple weeks as that is a sure sign the eggs were fertilized because they are developing embryos.

Michaelscarn23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2020
Fertilization takes place before the female picks up the eggs so I'd leave her in the 10G alone.

It is possible though that the eggs are not fertilized especially if you did not witness them spawning. Females will hold eggs without them being fertilized. Just watch her to see if her mouth and throat area get larger over the next couple weeks as that is a sure sign the eggs were fertilized because they are developing embryos.
Thank you my man! If in a couple of weeks I realize that her mouth hasn’t enlarged anymore, can I place her and the male together once again?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
She may continue to hold unfertilized eggs for a few weeks or if they are fertilized she'll hold them for between 21 days and 32 days depending on species and water temperature.

You would need to strip her of the existing eggs if she's still holding before placing her back with a male. Why not just wait and see how she does?

Reactions: tlindsey

Michaelscarn23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2020
She may continue to hold unfertilized eggs for a few weeks or if they are fertilized she'll hold them for between 21 days and 32 days depending on species and water temperature.

You would need to strip her of the existing eggs if she's still holding before placing her back with a male. Why not just wait and see how she does?
Alright, I’m gonna try that out. Thank you for everything!??

Reactions: deeda and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store