help! my piranha got cloudy eye

walrus14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2017
HELP! I have 8 red bellies piranha but one of the fish has one cloudy eye. should I quarantine the fish? I just added some salt to the tank. is this infection or just injury?
---
TMA: Wed Jun 21 2017 22:47:45 GMT+0800 (MYT).jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Could easily be an injury with piranhas. How's the water quality? Would add some salt (1tsp per gallon) and make sure water is clean. Doesn't look bad.

walrus14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2017
Could easily be an injury with piranhas. How's the water quality? Would add some salt (1tsp per gallon) and make sure water is clean. Doesn't look bad.
I just change the water yesterday and I realized the eye today..the fish is active and eating. it looks like a small white spot growing on the surface of the eye(when I look from the front) .. the question is should I quarantine the particular fish? I already added some salt to the main tank . just worry it might affect the other fish

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Never hurts to qt it, it's a good move.

Reactions: walrus14

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome to MFK☺ keep your water parameters stable as stated by kno4te kno4te . Besides the plants do you have any ornaments like driftwood or large rocks in the aquarium if so I would remove until the cloudy eye is gone.

Reactions: walrus14

walrus14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2017
Welcome to MFK☺ keep your water parameters stable as stated by kno4te kno4te . Besides the plants do you have any ornaments like driftwood or large rocks in the aquarium if so I would remove until the cloudy eye is gone.
thanks. about the salt, just add one time until the next time u change the water or add daily?

Aquatank

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 30, 2017
california
aquatank134.wixsite.com
I think that is because of a pathogen from the family of tuberculosis.It is more similar to the "mycobacterium tuberculosis" it is the main cause for cloudy eyes in fishes.
And if you have any cut or open wound on you hand and if you do water changes so chances are that you can also get it.
Cure for this disease is just the same as for a TB patient but you may do some research on it so you can have a better idea of what you are dealing with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store