Help!!! My pleco has white, grey patches on its body and now I noticed some of the female guppys ...

Gaelic13

Feeder Fish
Mar 8, 2017
They have these clear barely visible strands on their back tail fin. I don't notice them anywhere else on them. I don't notice anything differently about their fins, I don't see any white spots on them, they shimmy and swim vertically. The one female who had it had 1/3rd of her tail fin disappear mysteriously. The patches on the pleco look almost dusty grey or white. He has them on his tummy and his back. It also looks like hes got a black spot on his back i never noticed. I am not sure what is going on and I am not having much luck with online research either. I hope there is someone out there who knows what is going on1489025998944531463105.jpg

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Sounds like it's finrot on the guppies if the tail dissapeared/looks shredded. The shimmying is common in livebearers where there is a lot of stress or poor water conditions. The pleco seems to have some sort of fungal/bacterial infection. Or is his color muted from stress? Looks like his eye is cloudy though/a fin tear.

What are your water parameters? Tank size/number of fish? Is your tank cycled? If you have a test kit, test ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. What is your water change schedule? Has the temperature dropped recently or anything like that?

Reactions: Yuki Rihwa

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
does it look like velvet? I remember a member had a similar problem and treated it with oxytetracycline and it cleared. don't know if coincidence or not .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store