HELP My ranchu goldfish is missing all of its scales and skin is peeling

Bbg81018

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2018
i was out of town for the weeknd and when i came back i saw my ranchu not doing too good. then i looked closer and say he had no scales and his skin was peeling the water seems okay im not sure if another fish was bullying him because of lack of food or if hes sick.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
While i cant really help since not really familiar with goldfish, but for those that can, they will need a lot more info...

What tankmates does this goldfish live with?

What exactly are the parameters of your water? Ammonia / Nitrate / Nitrite?

Whats your regular water change schedule like and when was the last water change?

Bbg81018

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2018
While i cant really help since not really familiar with goldfish, but for those that can, they will need a lot more info...

What tankmates does this goldfish live with?

What exactly are the parameters of your water? Ammonia / Nitrate / Nitrite?

Whats your regular water change schedule like and when was the last water change?
He is in a 55 gallon with another ranchu and a 4 inch blood parrot. I checked all the ammonia nitrates and nitrites i change the water twice a week and it was done 4 days ago

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; One weekend without food has never been a problem for older fish for me so I do not think that is the problem.
Are the missing scales and poor skin all over or just in one spot?

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I was thinking, although unlikely, could the blood parrot have gotten so hungry it pecked at the goldfishes scales???

Maybe if you could post some pics up it might help???

Reactions: Go_redfish

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
^ agreed. Blood Parrots and GF make some poor company. Can you post a pic please. I think i have an idea of what is going on but need the visual

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agreewith the others, BPs and goldfish don't belong together in the same tank, especially one as small as a 55, seems to me while you were gone, the BPs territorial nature kicked in, and it decided the tank was too small for anything else. After the one goldfish is gone, the next one will probably also promptly be eliminated.

Reactions: illbethejudge

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
A BP can be a real bully but with their deformed mouths its pretty unlikely they could pick a patch of scales off, let alone stripping an entire fish. The BP would tear up the GFs fins before taking off scales. Fins are the easiest target and more tasty than scales.

Reactions: skjl47

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
If your BP is aggressive I think there's the answer...they tend to not tolerate goldfish long term. X2 if your BP has teeth. Guy on U Tube tried the combo of fancy goldies and BPs. It worked until it didn't...the goldies got shredded.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store