Help my Red Bellys have ich.....

Boomer1224

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2017
What should I do I read somewhere were certain meds can hurt them?Please any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Heat and salt. Powerhead or airpump to increase aeration.

Salt 1tsp per gallon after 12hrs add another 1tsp per gallon and after 12 hrs add another 1 tsp per gallon. For a total of 3 tsp per gallon.

Up the temp to 86 degrees.

Keep like this for 3 weeks.

Meds are available and are safe to sue. Api ich cure, kordon rid ich, paragaurd, etc.

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
You can do water changes. Just replace the salt for the amount taken out.

Do 50% wc and then redose with salt for half your tank size and not the full tank size.

Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: Drstrangelove

Boomer1224

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2017
yes I understand,i believe this was my mistake the tank is in a back room where it is really warm so I turned off the heater thinking it would maybe cut down on any aggression.Added the salt and off to get the paragaurd,thanks guys.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
yes I understand,i believe this was my mistake the tank is in a back room where it is really warm so I turned off the heater thinking it would maybe cut down on any aggression.
If you think that caused ich, I would say that is not likely the cause. It likely came on the ones you bought less than 2 weeks ago. Ich is a very common parasite that is transferred among fish, almost always if not always from new fish.

Boomer1224

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2017
my lfs had was out of all the above mentioned ich meds but they did have something called "Rid ich" has I'm on my second dosage today with maybe a slight improvement I'm going to do a 50 per cent water change tomorrow add some salt and do another dose of "Rid ich" has anyone ever heard of this med before and if so does it work good??

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
You really should not add salt to the tank while using a medication unless the medication (or someone who knows about it) says to do so. Salt, heat, medications, ich can sometimes all work together to either reduce oxygen or inhibit fish breathing. The more you add the more dangerous it is.

Ich is not a fast cure. People say 3 weeks, because it is. I hope your fish are cured, but there is no one who has a fast remedy.

R
Rid-Ich
Active Ingredients:
Malachite green and Formalin
Diseases: Ich
Contraindications:
Both active ingredients are carcinogenic agents. See further information of both ingredients under Formalin/Formaldehyde and Malachite Green.

Dosage is one teaspoon per 10 gallons and must be done daily for at least a week and another three days after ich had seemingly disappeared. Do partial water changes before administering full dosage as required.

Be sure your water has plenty of oxygen as Rid-Ich can deplete oxygen levels.

Dosage information is courtesy of Thegab.org.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/list-of-treatments-and-contraindications.295289/

Reactions: kno4te

Boomer1224

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2017
I made a mistake the med is called "Quik Ich",I did a 50 % water change yesterday then added a 3rd dose I'm going to add a 4th one later today.They are eating really well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store